Converting a manual BX to automatic

BX Tech talk
DavidCockayne

Converting a manual BX to automatic

Post by DavidCockayne »

I have had three BXs, one of them a wonderful automatic 19RD. I probably have to stick with an auto box in future but would love to get a BX estate and can only find ones that are manual. Is it possible to, reasonably easily, put an auto box into a manual BX? I wouldn't do this myself so it's simply feasibility that I'm interested in. David
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Converting a manual BX to automatic

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi David

Welcome to the forum, you can covert auto to manual and vice versa, they never made a diesel automatic estate or turbo diesel auto in hatch or estate.

The only estate models available with an autobox from the factory was the 1.9 petrol in carb and injection form, so 19TRS/TZS and 19TRI/TZI form. They are rare but do show up from time to time. But you could make a 1.6 petrol or 1.9D estate auto althought neither will be very fast

You will need a donor automatic car for the box, pedals etc, but they are getting rare now too.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

They never did a diesel auto BX (for the UK at least), probably due to the extra weight of the estate, but I don't know if it was due to the strength of the box or the lack of performance of the engine box combo in the estate. They obviously found a solution to the problem eventually as they built both ZX and Xantia estates in diesel auto form (although not in great numbers).

If you can put up with the fuel costs, then the easy option is to buy a petrol auto estate. As for converting one, it's probably a (large) nut and bolt job, the main difficulty being finding the parts (a donor vehicle would be the best way to go there as Tim said), when possibly sorting the insurance on your modified vehicle. I've not done it myself, but plenty here have swapped gearbox types on here.

There are also people who have dropped Xantia or Zx engines into BX's, and I suspect an auto one of these may be easier to find as a donor - now there's an idea - a BX 19TD Auto estate!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

They made a Xantia 1.9 TD Auto, my neighbour had one but afaik it was ecu controlled jobbie not like the more simple 4 speed ZF shifter.

If mpg isnt a issue then a 1.9 petrol auto (injection if possible) would be the on to go for as the 1.6 wont save you anything fuel wise and the 1.9D would be quite underpowered.

Looking on how many left, theres only 1 BX 19TRI and 4 19TRS auto's left though!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

not estate but Gloria is a MK1 NA D AUTO BX/UK car,

and yes it is possible and as Tim says you will require a donor car,

i did it the other way round years ago, converted an Auto into a manual, not much more involved that doing a clutch job really

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I would dearly love to try a TZI auto estate if such a thing exists.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I too have an automatic diesel saloon (TGD) and as you say they are a wonderful drive, I much prefer it to my TZD manual.

EDIT: A wonderful drive for the more sedate non-boy racer type!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

i have a good very good auto pedal box (has been repaired and very sturdy), and a torque converter removed from a vice/versa conversion auto to manual i did last year 1.9n/a diesel should you require either.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I agree with Kev the auto does make it a lovely drive, saying that my Mk1 GT has one of the nicest gearboxes of any car ive owned, my 16v being the best. You have to weigh up fuel against convenience and also what you prefer, or you could do what I do have one of each!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just returned from wafting down to Looe and back in Gloria. A great drive in a BX auto and she didnt miss a beat.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Mothman wrote:Just returned from wafting down to Looe and back in Gloria. A great drive in a BX auto and she didnt miss a beat.

Andy

and not slow either???????
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

No, Malcolm, she wasnt slow, did it in well under 5 hours both ways.

Andy