Suspension.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Suspension.

Post by cavmad »

Just a thought regarding my creaking suspension: I have pulled up the gaitors and placed strips of rags soaked with LHM fluid inside them and pulled the gaitors back down again as someone kindly suggested.
The inside of the legs were not particulary clean so I took the risk of lightly sanding them before putting the LHM soaked rags inside, one in each leg.
My thought is this: would it help if I lightly greased the legs or would this likely attract grit/ dirt which may score/jam the suspension legs? I`m not thinking of using 2 kilos of Castrol`s finest for each side, more a light smear of a `thin` lubricant of some sort perhaps high melting point grease of some description?
Any thoughts or anyone else tried anything similar?
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I tried grease but it made little difference so I have recently fitted bits of towel soaked in gearbox oil. This has done the trick and now the front struts are creak free and smooth operating.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I actually took my struts off and lubed them via the return pipe method manually. I found it a lot more sucessful than whilst the struts were on the car.

It was the first time i'd removed struts and it took me about 30mins per side doing it pretty methodically and cleaning things up as well.

Do we need a Mad BX Weekend at Billy's place?

I'd like to nip round and have a run out in your n/a 1.7d Billy to see if it really is as slow as a colleague of mine says they are!
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thankyou chaps, your help is much appreciated as always. It`s going into the garage today (hopefully) for a check on the squeaking/squeeling noise. Your more than welcome to pop round sometime and if anyone`s brave enough to try out my n/a diesel that`s fine by me!
It`s not so much the incredible lack of power it`s the incredible lack of power steering that`s the hardest thing to live with. Not bad on the open road but carparks and tight spaces are a `mare, especially since considering I used to pride myself on being the one handed reversing king of old Chester town.
I`ve got used to the lack of power now and instead use my knowledge of local roads to embarass new car owners. I have managed to get past a few BMW owners in recent weeks by a bit of smart manouvering and lane changing. Very funny to get to my nearest roundabout and `do them` in the wrong lane,then on to the single lane road ahead where they`re never going to get past me :wink: