Offside Steering Rack Gaiter

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Offside Steering Rack Gaiter

Post by Way2go »

Having previously done the nearside gaiter, I thought this next job would be a doddle as the offside doesn't have that Ram Stud. But taking the wheel off and examining this further it throws up some questions.

Is the right hand gaiter the same as the left hand gaiter? I bought the rubber Xantia ones for their stretchiness so they can be fitted over the tre but looking to fit it tonight I am not sure if the outbound fit will be right. :?

Also - how do you remove the heatshield as that is getting in the way of doing the job - ie where are the fittings to undo and how do you access them. Is there anything else that needs to be removed for access? :? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Re: Offside Steering Rack Gaiter

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear W2G,
I just this second had a shuffty for you under my bonnet :D
There appears to be about a 10mm bolt holding the heatshield in place, it looks like you will have to use a long 3/8th drive extention and possibly a u/j, you will need to have your ratchet behind the battery and come at the bolt from the battery towards the cambelt end. ( if you have a single hex socket, as opposed to a multi-hex one, would be better ) :wink: :D
Both of the steering rack gaiters look to be same to me :wink:
I hope this helps,
Vince,
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

I did this on our TD a few years ago and don't recall any issue with heatshields although this might be different on the GTI - found it very easy and used a standard OE boot kit from eBay but dumped the tricky Cit metal clips and used cable ties instead:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15453
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Hi Vince, I think your heatshield may be different as there doesn't seem to be any nut accessed from the top.

Mildbunch, there doesn't seem to be either any manoevering room or access to the cable tie position of the gaiter without removing this heatshield. The annoying thing is I must have removed it years ago to change the Hardy Disk but the procedure totally escapes me now.

I seem to think that the bolt may be at or near the fixed end of the steering power ram accessed from below (and above the subframe)?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you dont need to remove the heat shield to fit the O/S gaiter,

although it might give a clearer playing field,

if you wish to there is an 8mm nut and bolt ( spanner size ) which you can just get a spanner on the bolt head over the top of the rack, and from inder the car,

then there as a wire clip which you can unclip from under the car also,
re/fitting can be fun though!!!,

you can gain access from under the car to deal with the inner end,

also the O/S one has one very small and one large end, as opposed to the N/S gaiter with two large openings, although one end is slightly bigger that the other,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

The gaiters are different for each side, on the n/s the inner ball joint is has it's own rubber gaiter, whereas the o/s is integral to the main gaiter.
Unbolting the steering rack may also give you extra room.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

BX Bandit wrote:The gaiters are different for each side, on the n/s the inner ball joint is has it's own rubber gaiter, whereas the o/s is integral to the main gaiter.
a reason for not unbolting the rack is you risk fracturing the steering pipes if you move the rack about by much

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Citronut & Bandit, thanks for info, seems that you are confirming my observation that there is a difference between this right one and the inner I did before. The box contained two gaiters so it seems I have therefore confused myself thinking this was a pair. Too late to complain now as I've not had to fit the right until now.
citronut wrote: also the O/S one has one very small and one large end, as opposed to the N/S gaiter with two large openings, although one end is slightly bigger that the other,
regards malcolm
Seems I need to buy a new gaiter then. Any recommendations as to type and part number? Is a Xantia one still preferable to the BX?

Given that this gaiter has a smaller end than the n/s one, does this also mean I can't install it over the TRE like I did with the n/s and will have to remove the track rod to get it on? :?

(Drat on delays to a job I thought I had the bits for and was going to be more straitforward than before!! :roll: )
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you only need to remove the TRE not the hole track rod,

then clean and lube the track rod, as you dont want it dragging dirt onto the rack and you want it to slide into place,

the likes of a Firstline one will be fine

http://www.firstline.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any taylor made rubber one will do preferably to a universal one

dont you have a local accessory shop local which is open on a sunday

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Malcolm, when you say TRE do you mean just the ball joint from the track rod after you have split it from the hub. Or are you saying that it will slip over the end as was the case on the n/s? I thought getting the narrow bit over of this side was now going to be more of a problem?
You also mentioned the heatshield can stay - does this mean you need to work from underneath to wriggle it on and attach the cable tie?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Way2go wrote:Malcolm, when you say TRE do you mean just the ball joint from the track rod after you have split it from the hub. Or are you saying that it will slip over the end as was the case on the n/s? I thought getting the narrow bit over of this side was now going to be more of a problem?
you nee to unscrew the track rod end from the track rod,
as long as you only just crack of the lock nut on the track rod, and do not move it along the thread, you will preserve the how the tracking was set before you dismantled it,

i always measure from the center of the underside of the TRE and up against the back of its locking nut,
just in case the lock nut gets moved,
Way2go wrote: You also mentioned the heatshield can stay - does this mean you need to work from underneath to wriggle it on and attach the cable tie?
this is correct, just mind you dont place the cable tie around other bits whilst threading it round the rack body

reghards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

citronut wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:The gaiters are different for each side, on the n/s the inner ball joint is has it's own rubber gaiter, whereas the o/s is integral to the main gaiter.
a reason for not unbolting the rack is you risk fracturing the steering pipes if you move the rack about by much

regards malcolm
That's a very good point and not one I had considered!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue