Keeping the old girl going

Anything about BXs
smith

Keeping the old girl going

Post by smith »

Been a silent BX owner for years but felt the time was right to get into the mix of other owners having found out today mine is just 1 of 5 left in the UK on road so keen to keep her going.
55k on clock been passing every mot but recently my drive suffered the LHM stains. To cut a long story short I spent all Sunday re doing the DIY octopus. Took my time and works a treat. BUT, while having the car fully raised one of the rear return lines stretched and split the rubber boot on suspension. Typical, more oil on drive.
I have ordered 2 new boots and going to have a go changing having been told all I have to do is remove the clip and pull old one off. I'm hoping there are not too many now laughing out there. Please tell me it is as easy as this as cannot find any help at all on web.

Thanks
BX16
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Keeping the old girl going

Post by citsncycles »

Yep, rear boots are fairly easy - fiddly rather than difficult. It'll be worth spraying the clips etc. The day before if they haven't been touched in years. While you're under there it'll be worth checking the cylinder, pipes, sub frame and the rails above the sub frame for corrosion.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
smith

Post by smith »

Thanks for that and will give it a go. But do I need to de pressurise the system first or can i just put to max height and do it that way? ( with axel stands under car)

Thanks
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

You'll need to jack the rear wheels off the ground then depressurise the system, as the push rod and piston needs to be pushed into the cylinder in order to give you the space to remove the old boot and fit the new one.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
smith

Post by smith »

Thanks mike

Now all clear
smith

Post by smith »

All done.

My tip to others is to re assemble the whole thing before sliding back the push rod into place. There is room.
Put the push rod in the gaiter so the small cone end with the peg hole pushes into the rubber as trying to get the rubber over the cone once in place is impossible.
Thanks again for the advice

1 more BX lives on
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi.

I noticed in you first posting that you have used a DIY octopus.
Do you have any details, pictures of how you did this, materials used etc. if you do perhaps you could contribute the details to the thread in the Chat Section " Octopus Modification" further down.

I am in the process deciding which way to go with my Tizzy D.

Cheers
Brian
Visa 17D 1986 192K Sorn
BX 17RD 1986 220K Scrapped 2013 - Too much rust.
BX 17TZD 1992 192K
306 XRDT 1996 175K