Fitting PAS

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Fitting PAS

Post by maxgreenwood »

I looked at a very nice 16 auto yesterday, and I wasn't sure I'd like the autobox, especially with the 16s modest power, but I have to say I really liked it. The nice soft sphere spec of the 16 and the ride were spot on, and combined with the autobox gave the full classic Citroen experience.

One problem though.. No power steering :(. Everything else was great.

So the steering was fine between about 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock (position not time- although I do like a thorough test drive..;), but got really strenuous beyond this even when moving. Is this normal non-PAS character? It came up the tracking would be off- could it affect it this much? It didn't feel like design.

I have a 16tzs which is a bit holey and I don't know if I can go through replacing it's broken engine with the associated possible complications/risks, but it does have a hydraulic system in great shape including steering and nearly new octopus

Does anyone have experience of fitting PAS to a non PAS BX?
I imagine I'd have to get an experienced BXer to do it, wondering how many hours labour it would be.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Fitting PAS

Post by Tinkley »

Check the steering coupling which is engine side of where the steering column exits through the bulkhead. It may be that it has started to give a bit ie the rubber/plastic is degraded. I never had any odd steering quirks like getting heavy after X° of steering wheel movement on my old 1.4 non PAS BX. In fact I much prefer it to having PAS. I don't think the 1.6 is that much heavier than the 1.4 so it should be fairly easy to turn especially with a small ammount of forward or reverse motion.
Chevronics stock new couplings, I've just bought one, as last year I got an advisory of play in steering and the track rods were tight in the wishbones and inboard. Theres not much left in the system unless you have a damaged rack.

It would be worth checking the lower rubber bush on the column too as I believe this can fall out giving a lot of odd play to the steering linkage.

Only time I ever had strange steering was after kids damaged steering column trying to steal car and the outer shroud was so bent the inner touched it on the first corner!
The Haynes shows the extra circuit for a PAS system compared to the non PAS.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

not something i have ever tackled, but i would suspect the FDV would need to be changed for a PAS system as this runs the hydraulics for the steering. there will also be a fair bit of plumbing to do, im sure someone on here has had experience of such a task.
Firstly i would check the steering geometry, check tyre sizes, pressures, check for uneven wear across the whole surface, check your lower ball joints, bottom wishbone bushes, track rod ends, top swivels, steering column and u/j and finally have your tracking done any wear in any of these parts will contribute to heavier steering, i had a bx16 estate years ago and the steering was not too heavy non PAS are you running standard wheels? simply fitting a new pair of tyres can make a big difference.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Tracking can make a massive difference to how the steering feels, so it's worth getting it tracked before thinking about PAS.
However, if you have all the parts to do it, ie, pipes (which you can make in advance if not buy) flow valve, a complete rack and lower bit of the steering colomn then you'd be looking at a days work at a fairly leaisurly pace to swap it all over..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

And i'd buy the lower half of your non-pas column! ;)
I have zero patience for your tedium.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Thanks for the info guys, it definitely felt like there may be something amiss, definitely way too heavy past a certain point, although pretty light up to 90 degrees left and right. I can imagine worn/partially seized parts contributing, and it may also be tracking, which the owner is going to sort and I'll have another test drive. The wheels are 165s and the tyres were good. But in theory I do have the bits from my other car to do a PAS conversion. We've just secured a new house.. With a garage! :) and by the sounds of it if I can get the engine out the way it sounds like rather a pleasant job! And how satisfying would that be !

However I might just wait for Tim's TZI auto to come up for sale ;).
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

maxgreenwood wrote:However I might just wait for Tim's TZI auto to come up for sale ;).

You will be waiting a long time then Max!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Driving a non-PAS BX is a very odd experience. The steering does weigh up when cornering and feels like a PAS BX when the PAS is being all intermittent.

My Peugeot 309 felt exactly the same. As well as assisting the steering, the PAS also stops that sort of feedback entirely.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

You will be waiting a long time then Max!
:D after WTF and the DTR i thought you may continue the trend! you're obviously holding on to the faves.
My Peugeot 309 felt exactly the same. As well as assisting the steering, the PAS also stops that sort of feedback entirely.
this kind of feeback was more like, ' why on earth are you even attempting to try and turn here you idiotic english type ' (heavy french accent ala Jeremy Clarkson)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Indeed, four was too many, ive done 3000+ miles in both cars since ive had them so not afroad to use them, and finding another TZI auto is a tall order so will keep it.
Vantman
BXpert

Post by Vantman »

My TZi Auto is still available after the prospective buyer(a forum member) failed to show up.
Brian.
2003 Saab 9-3.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I'm about to have PAS fitted to my TGD - I love the car but lack of PAS really does let it down. Barry Annell's has quoted me 200 quid to fit a PAS rack - although I have to provide the rack. That'll be money well spent as far as I'm concerned and will (hopefully) transfom the car.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Paul296 wrote:I'm about to have PAS fitted to my TGD - I love the car but lack of PAS really does let it down. Barry Annell's has quoted me 200 quid to fit a PAS rack - although I have to provide the rack. That'll be money well spent as far as I'm concerned and will (hopefully) transfom the car.
Indeed, a diesel BX without PAS is hard work! Ive had a 16 petrol without it and that was heavy too.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Ref 1.6 without PAS.

It's not like the old Laverda clutches.... you only need normal muscles!