Radiator pipe part number?

BX Tech talk
Thread Bear
1K Away

Radiator pipe part number?

Post by Thread Bear »

I have managed to seal the leak on the free 1.7 Turbo Diesel radiator. Rather pleased with the effort using the two pack epoxy aluminium stuff. It will last as long as the plastic end remains rigid. I sacrificed some fins for access and repaired a larger area than was immediately effected. It looks like a poor quality control issue as the seal of ali to plastic was not good in one area.

That leaves me with one source of concern on cooling. On the 1.7 TD the middle radiator pipe from radiator to block next to the diesel pump runs close to the alternator. It is all to easy for it to be placed badly and the alternator to chew a hole in it. I have a holed and damaged one which is carrying a botch repair that is holding, but would like a replacement. Of course if someone has a serviceable one that will be great, but if not can you buy a new one still? Each TZD I have had has shown this problem, though not always to a breach in the pipe, so my guess it is a part ordered in greater quantity than other pipes. Given the radiator is unique maybe this pipe is too. Ominous then that Jaba jealously guarded his pipes when I was there. I think it was the only thing I asked about he was not free in parting with actually.

Off to collect 5 spheres. Think I have resolved the faulty accumulator return pipe issue too. Cambelt etc next week. We are getting there.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mat_fenwick

Re: Radiator pipe part number?

Post by mat_fenwick »

Do you mean the one which doubles round in a U shape to join the heat exchanger plate under the oil filter? If so I'm pretty sure it is part no. 96015636, available (to place the order at least!) here. That is one of the only two original hoses on mine, and is on the to-do list to renew for reliability.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

mat_fenwick wrote:part no. 96015636, available (to place the order at least!) here.
The bad news is that I tried to order a few of those a few months back, and was told they are ' no longer available to order'...
I've never had a problem with that pipe fouling the alternator, but they are very prone to failure at the bottom end, especially if you have a leaky injector pump, as the diesel runs down and soaks the hose, causing it to swell and fail..
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Not sure about the TD's, but I know there's very few pipes available for the NA diesels. I ended up using silicone hoses for most of the heater pipes when I changed them on Timex last year, and when the time comes to change radiator hoses etc. I'll probably go the same route, buying the relevant bends and straight sections and putting it all together with joiners.

I know companies have produced silicaone hose kits for valvers in the past, so maybe some of those pipes could be used.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

see an ad oilyspanner has posted up there is a selection of hoses he wants shot of, maybe have yours?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

The order was accepted, thanks for info, so I await to see if the correct pipe arrives or if there is a retraction. Not sure about the one in the picture. It looks shorter and of less angle.

Cambelt, idler and water pump today. Can then open the engine up a bit more. That will see if the clutch is going to play. I would prefer getting something else running before I get into that.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
really?
BXpert

Post by really? »

ive bought a number of hoses of varios sizes from AutoSiliconHoses (ASH) on ebay. wire reinforced for the hose you need so that it doesnt crimp itself on any of the tighter bends. a 35-32 90degree bend a 32mm inline sender housing for a temp gauge and a short length of 32mm is required for the top hose. you could do away with the sender housing and use a longer bit of 32mm. the radiator has a 32mm and the thermostat housing is very nearly 36mm, 35 goes on no problem. the only problem ive had with the wire reinforced ones is chaffing, they are larger external diameter and so dont fit in the original clips. still not quite worked out new ones as the car went into active duty as soon as it had an mot, hoses flapping about a bit not the biggest problem.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

The order for the pipe was retracted. Clearly there are no more of that particular pipe.

I now find out that the a brain ache previously had dispensed with a complete clip assembly, as on my previous car. Either that or their fitment was erratic. With the clip there is no way for the pipe to caught up in the alternator. Same clip assembly supports the two big octopus arms across the front of the engine. Also found several other clips missing. I suspect lazy reassembly by 'Mate' Servicing Limited, Nottingham. Anyway new chum might have a spare pipe and clip. He sort of runs a BX and broke several up some years back. I am rather worried he is going to expect me to buy his car and stuff now I have shown interest. I think his interest is very limited but I would rather he get it going properly again as I have enough at the moment.