Fitting remote central locking to a central locking car

BX Tech talk
adamskibx
BXpert

Fitting remote central locking to a central locking car

Post by adamskibx »

Does anyone know how easy this is to do and what is involved?

Cheers, Adam
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Do you have the receiver unit fitted? This is a small inverted dome near the sunroof controls & in fromnt of the rear view mirror.
If so you can order a "plip" ready programmed from Citroen or reprogramme one that you get from a breakers or elsewhere.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Unfortunately not. Basically the BX I want to use is a Mk1 and has central locking. The other BX is the one that I am taking the engine and other bits from to get the MK1 on the road- It has working remote central locking and I would like to install the receiver in the Mk1 so that it has central locking. All I know is that the central locking control unit is fitted in the central trim behind the handbrake and that the receiver unit is in the sunroof control area on the ceiling. I dont know what extra components, apart from wires, are involved in making central locking remote etc. Is the control unit the same for example?

Cheers, Adam
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Why not get an alarm with an interface and get remote locking that way?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think you will find that the plip system triggers the existing controller using the terminal for the passenger door lock - BX and ZX and no doubt others with the IR original system have dead passenger door locks.

Probably the easiest thing to do now is to fit a new remote unit to trigger the existing relay etc. Such devices are available from Maplins, would be RF - works better than IR

This is the sort of device I have in mind

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... ol&doy=5m3

and the keyfob transmitter (shark) is £9.99

I have not used any of these components and so cannot guarantee that they work.

jeremy
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

adamskibx wrote: Is the control unit the same for example?
It looks from the diagrams like the earlier car uses a control unit incorporating relays and the later car uses a solid state controller. So it is unlikely that it can be incorporated easily.

Stewarts suggestion of using an alarm to give the functionality is probably the safest way of adding a remote control as things will get pretty hot if there is bridging of the wrong contacts in retrofitting the MK2 ir unit.
I suspect it could be done if you add relays to the lock & unlock outputs of the ir unit for compatability but it is questionable whether it is worth pursuing.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers guys. I didnt think about the alarm idea. Coming to think of it, it would be good to have an alarm anyway so I think that is what ill do. Thanks for the idea Stuart :) Now I must stop thinking about these things that are 5 steps ahead of where I actually am with the GT!! The engines are coming out on Thursday. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to use the original distributor from the GT, and also swap over all the wires going to things like the alternator and general sensors as the wire block conection unit for the GT has 8 connections, the TRS has 7 etc etc. Its going to be a bit of a mission but it will be nice that it will all look like the original engine too. Coming to think of it, do I have to let any of the VOSA or DVLA people know about the engine change? Im only thinking because of the new computerised MOT's etc. Apparently BTW, if you take your car to an MOT and it fails, the only way you can ever get it passed again is if you take it to the same MOT station!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You may want to let the DVLA know so the engine no. on the V5 can be changed. I think you can just send the V5 away with the appropriate details filled in.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers Matt ill do that.
Bluey1978
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Bluey1978 »

I'm thinking of incorporating a remote central locking into my BX and found this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

The maplin item is very cleverly priced as you fall short of the £35 free delivery price, so would have to stump up £2.50, but when you look at the 2 items it may be feasible to have an alarm that does central locking, rather than a central locking system that isn't an alarm.

Its a case of pro's and cons, but i'm seriously looking at the alarm option as my insurance compnay will give me a minimum of 5% discount for it, depending on its class this could rise - so they tell me.

I know 5% is not alot but its better than nothing.

Hope this helps you out......

Bluey :wink:
Previous owner of a 1988 BX19 RD & Previous BX Meteor & Xantia Owner.
1995 Toyota Estima Lucida X Diesel
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I have remote central locking but it is controlled by my Falcon Car alarm but it is a top of the range all singing and dancing alarm (£500) :shock: but at least it has all the bits and a pager facility. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp