Disaster!

BX Tech talk
ghaddon1701
BXpert

Disaster!

Post by ghaddon1701 »

Hi everyone,
Set about change the valve stem seals on the GTi yesterday. Come to remove the head. All bolts removed fairly easily except one. Partially locked up on trying to remove it. Anyway after lots of faffing and 3 in 1 down the hole to try and free the threads a bit the bolt came out along with most of the aluminium thread from the block. Our guess is the head has been removed before and the bolts weren't oiled when they were put in. On trying to tighten the head down today at about 150 degrees through the 300 degrees tightening sequence the remaining thread stripped. So my question is, does anyone have any experience in getting thread inserts put in to blocks on the XU petrol engine or has this ever happened to anyone? Also why do people bother to do jobs and not do them properly? The plus point is the head is re-sealed and decoked. :cry:

Regards Graham
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Disaster!

Post by Defender110 »

I have used a lot of heli coils but not done personally done a cylinder block but can't see why they would create any problem using the right size one of these which are very easy to do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Re: Disaster!

Post by Oilyspanner »

I see a helicoil kit in your future.
The beatings will continue until morale improves