XU petrol engine heavy breathing.

BX Tech talk
Stinkwheel
1K Away

XU petrol engine heavy breathing.

Post by Stinkwheel »

OK, so question, apologies if i sound thick (i am thick remember)

Petrol 1.6 XU is smoking a bit out the exhaust when you really boot it, but worse the air filter is soaked with oil being pushed back up into it from the oil filler/breather.

Now can anyone tell me what sort of wear/problems on a petrol engine cause this?
I am trying to decide if there is a repair procedure to sort this or its time to find a new engine (reference my 1580cc engine wanted thread in the for sale/wanted section)

Im assuming worn rings and bores, valve stem seals and a bit of not wanted crankcase pressure, although im wondering if changing the filler/breather assembly may help (like it does on a 2CV/Dyane engine)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Re: XU petrol engine heavy breathing.

Post by Oilyspanner »

Try a compression test, dry, then wet.
Any significant difference between the two points towards rings, if the car has been stood for a long time then letting it stand for a couple of days with a teaspoon full of brake fluid down its spark plug holes can free off sticky rings and dissolve glazey stuff in the cylinders. ideally put it in then turn the engine over slowly to coat the bores, you have seen what brake fluid does to paint? it has a similar effect on engine goo.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Valve stem oil seals are probably the culprit (my old engine did this). Clean all the breathers, one in oil filler neck, one in oil filler cap. Possibly route crankcase breather to air (not quite sure where this is on the injection 1.6 but it will be there), then try a new air filter. You can work backwards a bit follwing leads into the air filter and into the induction passageways.
Bottom end and cam are probably fine, especially if the oil was changed on a regular basis.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

first thing i would do is check and clean the breather system, including the gause inside the filler neck that most people forget/miss, as unless you know its there it aint obvious,

also make sure the rubber filler neck between the crank case and plastic filler neck has not collapsed

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thanks for tips all.

Gives me some things to play about with and see what occurs :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"