Y front return pipe

BX Tech talk
Thread Bear
1K Away

Y front return pipe

Post by Thread Bear »

I am going to need to fit several of the double pipe front suspension return rubbers. Seems to be part 95 591 142. Is there a known source for these?

This is the latest fail on Gary. I have had the pipes get split and perished but this one is haemorrhaging from the base of the actual flange on the suspension unit itself. Not something I have had before.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Re: Y front return pipe

Post by Oilyspanner »

Is the clip holding the thing on there original or has it been replaced with a jubilee clip or zip tie ?
The beatings will continue until morale improves
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Genuine rubbers are available here. I've heard the pipes and clips are still available from dealers.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Genuine Citroen here:

http://www.aepdirect.com/strut-return-p ... ory_id=647#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Mat posted whilst I was looking #-o
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Oilyspanner wrote:Is the clip holding the thing on there original or has it been replaced with a jubilee clip or zip tie ?

Why? :?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I've got some spare clips as they are pretty much reusable indefinitely. The trick to getting them off is use a large F clamp. Put the head behind the strut on the clip and the handle end on the front disc (with a bit of timber packing). Wind it up and you should be able to get the clipping part to slide past itself vertically or even get enough to 'flick' it off. I'm a bit wary of really giving some grief as it might damge something else!. Pretty much the same to put new rubber in place after cleaning up the lower strut rear face. gently squeeze the clamp until you can engage the clip. I use pliers, screwdivers whatever to help ease it back. Not had any problems with any of the ones I've done yet - about 8+.

It's not the 'official' way but it works fine.

The reason Oilyspanner has asked about the method of retention is that the proper clip does give more support around the return orifice on the lower strut. I have certainly encountered the jubilee clip and the cable tie before now!.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Yes many on here have used the cable tie method without problem. Joiners pincers are the ideal tool for reusing the original clips.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Tinkley wrote: The reason Oilyspanner has asked about the method of retention is that the proper clip does give more support around the return orifice on the lower strut. I have certainly encountered the jubilee clip and the cable tie before now!.
Agreed! Even using the ty-rap combined with the original spreader plate, the possible clamping force is well down on the metal clip. The "lock" on the ty-rap would strip way before approaching the desired clamping force. The return pipe is continually flexing in use and if this flex is transmitted to the rubber block then some weep-by is inevitable with ty-raps.

However, if Thread Bear really means "haemorrhaging" rather than drips then it is likely that the internal strut seals themselves have failed irrespective of the clamping method. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Ah I understand now, sorry I misread the original post and thought the pipe had split at the square flange but the LHM is running past the sealed face.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Thread Bear wrote:I am going to need to fit several of the double pipe front suspension return rubbers. Seems to be part 95 591 142. Is there a known source for these?

This is the latest fail on Gary. I have had the pipes get split and perished but this one is haemorrhaging from the base of the actual flange on the suspension unit itself. Not something I have had before.
Mr Bear
were did you get that part No. from as its not for the strut retun/leg pipes, but it is the double metal coupling that attache's to the chassis rail that the strut returns plug onto,

here is price and part No. from citroen

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95622818 LEAK BACK HOSE 11.62 GBP 13.94 GBP 13.94 GBP

96127591 ADJUST COLLAR 4.41 GBP 5.29 GBP 5.29 GBP

AEP are more expencive than citroen

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

To bring two converging threads together and leave the chatty bit to run on the other listing -

This morning, with the aid of a borrowed home made sphere tool of some leverage, it has a jack handle with extension on it, if needed, it was a smidge. So the accumulator is off and replaced successfully :D . Not sure if you can date these things but it looks reasonably clean so I would say a replacement. If the guy was not up with Citroen and built like myself it would be easy to over-tighten. I have done so by mistake with my own oil filters. Hence the chain wrench #-o .

Matters arising.

The fluid from the change seemed slightly foamy. I wonder if it was failing along the lines that Tim? suggested and getting gas in the fluid. It might explain the tightness? On the outer thread it was as others to undo but it was slow tight work the first few rotations till the fluid came out. No noticeable pressure release effects though. Might be due to slow release.

Bled up fine with the front on the jacks to start with. No leaks, Having got the spoiler off I could get in position to see what happened when I dropped it onto the suspension. Of course it wanted to pump up but needed to bled through a bit. None the less as soon as there was some pressure the bottom of the Strut return flange was leaking badly. Yes the sealed face :( .

So has changing the sphere on the corner put up the pressure inside the strut? If so I subscribe to the theory offered by Defender that the strut itself is suspect. I would call it joined up drips, if that makes sense. It was misbehaving when first I got the car going again after lay up. It popped a return then. Effectively I have chased the weak joints back to the Strut itself on the return piping, I think. One pipe I repaired being an octopus arm and I do not know what it was serving.

It has the correct clip in place. It is in reasonable condition. Enough to suggest it is not the original.

'Well done Wilson (citronut). I was waiting for someone to spot that one'. :lol:
Trying to read a tiny version of a parts list. Clearly failing to read a tiny parts list. Lucky I thought to check. :)
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Well, they have to make money :lol: Although I had assumed they would source them from the manufacturer rather than Citroen and hence be able to sell them more cheaply; maybe not so.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Thread Bear wrote:This morning, with the aid of a borrowed home made sphere tool of some leverage, it has a jack handle with extension on it, if needed, it was a smidge. So the accumulator is off and replaced successfully :D . Not sure if you can date these things but it looks reasonably clean so I would say a replacement. If the guy was not up with Citroen and built like myself it would be easy to over-tighten. I have done so by mistake with my own oil filters. Hence the chain wrench :)

They normally have a date stamped on them IIRC, and my hypothesis on too tight spheres and filters gained from a lot of experience with the latter is the lack of initial lubricant being smeared on the sealing ring. Dry fit filters are seriously hard to undo even when only just fitted to the correct torque where as correctly lubed and tightened filters will undo quite easily.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you should not tighten the spheres with your tool, oooer misssus :twisted: :shock: :wink:

just slightly over hand tight will suffice,

ans as Defender says smear the sphere seal with citro blood before screwing it on

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Thread Bear wrote:Strut return flange was leaking badly. Yes the sealed face :( .

...............I would call it joined up drips, if that makes sense. It was misbehaving when first I got the car going again after lay up. It popped a return then.

It has the correct clip in place. It is in reasonable condition.
I would think if the proper clip is fitted, then to leak, the sealing face is not located properly over the hole or your leak is just running down from the porous pipes (Especially if it was a GSF replacement.)

But, to reiterate what I said before, if there is anything more than an occasional drip from the strut then the seals are shot and it will quickly progress to a torrent. Take this from one who had to change a strut by the roadside when it let go big time! :shock:
Thread Bear wrote: 'Well done Wilson (citronut). I was waiting for someone to spot that one'. :lol:
Trying to read a tiny version of a parts list. Clearly failing to read a tiny parts list. Lucky I thought to check. :)
Is this metal pipe now available again! This was listed as NFP from the stealer when I tried to get one to pass the MOT about 4 years ago and there was no stock showing on the Citroen parts computer for the whole country. :? A kind forum member came to my rescue who I thank again. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto