Reasons to be cheerful. The diesel fuel filler doesn't rust

Anything about BXs
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Reasons to be cheerful. The diesel fuel filler doesn't rust

Post by Jaba »

Well that is the conventional wisdom I thought. Until today when I removed the said pipe from my TD estate breaker.

Just look at it. The outside flange where the locking cap fits is fine but the rest is in serious decline. Its badly rusted on the top and front edge of the metal fixing surface. This is where the muck thrown up by the rear wheels builds up and traps the moisture in especially as the gasket is actually dense foam !

Be warned !! Yours will rust away too if it is not totally sealed into the rear wing from the inside. I have already done this sealing with my GTi's new pipe when it failed dramatically after the monsoon at Monaco during the Challenge..

The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mat_fenwick

Re: Reasons to be cheerful. The diesel fuel filler doesn't r

Post by mat_fenwick »

That looks familiar:

I found the same during my recent wing repair, but fortunately I had a usable spare which I cleaned up and put on. Chevronics got a batch made up shortly after I fitted mine...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Seems that rust is getting everywhere these days on BX's, mind you they are all 20+ years old so double there predicted lifespan .....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Tim Leech wrote:Seems that rust is getting everywhere these days on BX's, mind you they are all 20+ years old so double there predicted lifespan .....
It's interesting that it was widely thought years ago that post chassis built cars, the complete body shell cars would never make it to become vintage or even appreciated. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto