Throttle cable plastic

BX Tech talk
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Throttle cable plastic

Post by RobC »

Not sure if this should be in the 'wanted' section...

Anyway the other day on the slip road of the M48, while I was letting my friend drive the valver on the way to a lads weekend in the Forest of Dean (we went mountain biking on the Verderer's trail and it was very enjoyable (and painful), not something I'd done before), the throttle cable came adrift at the pedal end when he floored it to pass a lorry. Notwithstanding the embarrassment of my car 'breaking down', it could have been a little dangerous, but thankfully we pulled up safely on the hard shoulder. I initially assumed the cable had snapped and was already on the phone (on hold in a massive queue of course) to the breakdown service when I thought I may as well double check.

Legs in the air + headtorch showed that the cable had thankfully not broken but the plastic hook that goes through the hole at the end of the pedal had slipped off. To be honest there wasn't much of a 'hook', more a right angle that seemed very likely to pop out again. So I slipped it back on and gaffer taped it up, hung up the phone, and we were on our way (me driving this time, gingerly, batting away the jibes of London folk who drive sensible Audis and Kias who 'couldn't believe we've come on holiday in this heap of junk').

So my questions are threefold.

1. Is this white plastic thing on the end of the throttle cable meant to be more of a hook, or is it meant to be so precarious? ( I couldn't find any broken bits but it could well have slipped behind the carpet)
2. Can you get hold of / does anyone have a replacement plastic bit, or do you have to replace the whole throttle cable?
3. Are all BX throttle cables the same or are they 16v-specific?

Enlightenment, as ever, welcomed.
Rob
1991 Citroen BX 16v
mat_fenwick

Re: Throttle cable plastic

Post by mat_fenwick »

It seems to be the same on any BX I've looked at, and for that matter 205s as well - on which I've experienced the problem a few times! Carrying a spare with me in the BX would appear to be the magical talisman to prevent any further breakages though…

There's two flaps (or should be) which, once you've pushed it through the hole in the pedal spring back outwards and lock it in position. They can break off and allow the clip to separate.

EDIT - here's a photo I pinched after a quick Google image search, from a 106 forum:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RobC
BXpert

Post by RobC »

Thanks Mat- can one get hold of the clip separately from the whole cable?
1991 Citroen BX 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I don't really know, as I've only got them from scrapyards - but that was 10 years ago when BXs (and 205s!) were a lot more common. Worth asking a dealer but if not I'd try and find the most recent PSA vehicle that has one - maybe a late model 106 - and get a couple.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Rob,
I had this problem once when I took my lady-friends Pug 309 GRTD in for MOT once, when the Monkey which was doing the smoke test was Reving the engine up/down came into the reception/waiting area to tell me that the throttle cable had bust :evil:

So I went into the workshop to take a look and found the same problem that the white plastic hook on the end had come adrift from the throttle pedal end !

I could see that one of the tangs had broke off or even possibly both (It was a long time ago now and the car been long gone now so I can't check) !

Anyhow how the simple fix for this problem in situ is as follows:-

a) Just locate the right angled hook end back into position (In the pedal) .

b) Then get a very small/narrow cable-tie with the end already thro' the square end of the ratchet/tang and pull the tie down to approx. 5mm internal diameter.

c) Slip a thin steel washer with just enough clearance to fit over the dome-end of the plastic 'Hooked-end' (Whilst holding the 'Hook' in position of the throttle pedal) .

d) Then whilst still holding the plastic hook in position so as the steel washer /\ doesn't fall off with the other hand (By holding the long end of the cable tie) place the pre-engaged cable-tie over the nose of the dome-end of the plastic hook and pull the cable-tie fully home so it engages each side of the flats on the plastic hook (Now that the two tangs are out of the way/broke).

e) Trim of the surplus length of the cable tie so it does not foul any adjacent components around the pedal box area !

Never had a problem with the above fix on the 309 ever afterwards for the cost of a small washer and a cable-tie !

:idea: Worth keeping the above simple 'Repair kit' in your glove-box to save you getting stranded in the middle of no where :wink:

But I may have a spare Hook somewhere Rob. (If I find one, I'll PM you) but it may be quicker/easier just to go down to you nearest breakers yards and carefully recover one (But the Tangs do break off very easily) so it may take you a couple of vehicles to get the 'Knack' on removing in them one piece !

Good-luck

Last edited by RxBX on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobC
BXpert

Post by RobC »

Great tips, thanks guys!
1991 Citroen BX 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Tang! That's the word I was trying to think of but failed :oops: