Why should this happen when i changed the rad?

BX Tech talk
Mothman

Why should this happen when i changed the rad?

Post by Mothman »

At the w/end i replaced Gloria's rad for a proper M1 type. Took her out for a spin to shake any trapped bubbles having refilled it in the proper BX manor and found that the auto box seemed much smoother changing both up and down. Seems like ime driving a different motor.I did find that the old rad was a bit clogged up, especially at the bottom , in particular the rubber pipe at the bottom of the rad as you face the engine, the one thats joined at both ends to the body. This was well clagged up.
Maybe she was running a bit warm, not had the red light of death come on, that works when you test it but i had thought she smelt a little warm of late.
Would the fact that she is running cooler affect a gear change? It happened straight away. I have already changed the dexron twice in the last few months.

Andy
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Re: Why should this happen when i changed the rad?

Post by Stinkwheel »

I dont know how BX autos are set up but lots of other cars are set up with a cooler for the auto box inside the radiator.
If you now have the correct rad is there any chance the auto box is now cooling properly (or at least more efficiently) ??
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thats a thought bud, also, the MK 1 rad is bigger than the Mk 2 one so maybe its just more efficient cooling all round.

Andy
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes as stated by 'stinky' auto rads usually have built in auto transmission coolers, with 2 extra (small bore) oil pipes at each side of the rad feeding the auto transmission fluid into/out of the radiator cooler?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

That must explain it as i dont have an auto rad and i suspect finding one will be near impossible, especially for a Mk 1.
Something else for me to keep my eyes open for then.
Thanks for the info guys.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

looking on service citroen
it shows the same type of oil cooler on the BVA Auto box as for the engine oil cooling,

it has a link pipe from the engine cooler and the other pipe going to the bottom of the thermostat housing,

so no special auto rad other than to yse a large capacity rad, i think the likes of a TD rad should do the job

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Cheers Malcolm,
thought i would have been on a right old chase there. The new rad certainly has a bigger capacity then the old one so i think that has helped.
A TD rad would take a lot more installing, especially with the expansion tank etc. Ile see how she goes for now.

Andy
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mothman wrote: A TD rad would take a lot more installing, especially with the expansion tank etc.
The larger rad is used in the GTi auto with aircon, and that has the conventional filler.
1991 BX19GTi Auto