Warning Lights

BX Tech talk
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Warning Lights

Post by Gordon »

Hi, I get the following warning lights come up after car has been driven for some time and is idling - low engine oil pressure, low radiator water level, hydraulic pressure/level and Stop. I've checked oil level, hydraulic oil level and radiator level and all are ok. The radiator level doesn't rely on engine revs whereas the oil pressure and hydraulic pressure might, so I'm suspecting an electrical problem. I've checked the Haynes manual and all come through fuse F2 - that's ok. Has anyone got any ideas please? Thanks.
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
mat_fenwick

Re: Warning Lights

Post by mat_fenwick »

The other warning lights you mention are wired through the oil pressure switch, so that when you first turn the ignition key they are tested. So you either have low oil pressure, or the switch is operating at too high a pressure. If you don't have another method of checking the actual pressure and you are sure the grade is correct, the cheapest proof would be to fit a new switch.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i once saw a case were all the warning lights came on together, turned out a diode or two had failed on the back of the instrument cluster,
the warning lamps are daisy chained across the cluster with diodes inbetween

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

i suspect a dirty switch, worth checking the blue connector plug on the side of the radiator and the lhm level switch in the reservoir.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's only the oil light which brings on all the others - a fault or fault condition in the other circuits only brings on the relevant light.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Low coolant brings the STOP lamp on as well. If coolant level is marginal then the warning lights come on when starting, and then go off when the first left hand bend is taken.

If there has been some recent work on the engine that could cause debris in the oil - head change / decoke etc then crud in the oil can block even a new oil filter quite quickly and cause low oil pressure.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

Thanks for your comments. Radiator level is full. When I start in the morning all the lights go out, I drive 40kms of open road to work, and into the carpark coming to a stop at low revs the warning lights come on. In the evening I start the car, lights go out, I drive home and at a couple of traffic lights with idling the warning lights come on. So it seems to be with oil/water hot and low revs the lights come on. The hydraulic, radiator and oil levels have all been checked and are ok. I'll take a look at the oil switch this weekend - replace it with one that works - and also increase the idle speed to see if that solves the problem. The only recent work has been replacing the FDV. Thanks.
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

It does sound like you actually have low oil pressure if you have no symptoms when cold, and symptoms when at low revs when hot.

If you reckon you've definitely got enough oil in the engine then I'd suspect your oil pump, or a clogged filter? When was the last time the oil and filter were changed? I've known cars with the wrong (too long) dipsticks fitted that have claimed to have enough oil in them, but an oil change has then shown that they were nearly 2 litres short... Perhaps try an oil and filter change and make sure you put in the exact amount of oil specified, just to be sure there is enough in there.
1991 Citroen BX 16v