What not to have on your exhaust

BX Tech talk
Thread Bear
1K Away

What not to have on your exhaust

Post by Thread Bear »

You will see a picture below of a quality front exhaust pipe next to the mid pipe removed from Homer, 1.9 diesel. The two pipe bends are about the same. Note how the cheap pipe is stretched and deformed restricting the flow of gas both dynamically and by restriction in diameter. THere is no two ways about it. Homer runs better with out this restrictive system fitted.

I have an invoice for this item of crap from Kwik Twit. Not only have they supplied an item of junk, they failed to fit it correctly. At the rear the silencer was impaled on the end of this mid section and a ridge of rust on the over inserted exposed pipe internally and crude built up to the extent I had to destroy the silencer to get it off. No great concern as it was a unit of similar cheapness from an el cheapo source. You will note in the other picture that the mount to the front pipe was clamped above the flange meaning that rather then nipping up the outer to trap the inner with a little paste the two have been crushed together. So it took me an hour to remove what could be the original front pipe from the mid pipe, easing it bit by bit passed the constriction, I was unable to ease by opening the flanges. That the older front pipe survived and the later, already rusting, mid pipe did not, twisting from my rotational force only goes to prove the inferior pipe is also made of poor quality steel. I do not want rubbish like this on my cars. I had thought to pass it on to the needy of the parish, but I doubt anyone will want it now it sheared and bent. That someone paid for some gibbons to vandalise their car such just underlines that if you can, do it yourself. Even if your skint at least you can make it so you can demount the system in a few minutes rather than an afternoon saving the front and rear parts that seem to pre-date the primate piping in the middle.

Of course with the TD and Gti system, larger bore and with flanges and clamps, it is very much simpler to fit and demount. A superior design but I still would avoid ape activity and fit it yourself as being more adjustable the fit can be perfect. No knocks, clonks or chuntering. Rant over.
Attachments
bxex2.JPG
bxex1.JPG
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Mothman

Re: What not to have on your exhaust

Post by Mothman »

Ive always done this sort of thing myself too. It isnt difficult. Sourcing the right parts can be.

Andy
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: What not to have on your exhaust

Post by Tinkley »

You don't show the internal of the pipe on the photo. If it is the proper 1.6 petrol type pipe which some of the diesels have it should be double thickness at the end (rear). To me it looks like they have 'forgotten' to put the two internal 'half moon' pipes inside the outer AND used a crap pipe bender. Maybe they have yet to learn about proper sized mandrels...
Although I have used a local exhaust place, when the front pipe was done the replacement was visibly of similar quality, not the rubbish you have shown us. But then the small independent guy I used is pretty good, you can get under the car on the ramp and look for yourself etc try that in a Thiktwit.. :lol:
BTW a good quality front downpipe will survive at least two complete systems behind being replaced.