rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

removal of rear arm outer races

Post by rutter123 »

anyone got any tips on removing/refitting the outer bearing races from the rear suspension arm? i dont have a puller, and need to leave the plastic sleeve in situ as im not replacing it cos i dont have one, i only have the bearings and seals.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
mat_fenwick

Re: removal of rear arm outer races

Post by mat_fenwick »

For ease of searching in the future, can we try and keep technical threads in the right section please?

If you run a bead of weld around the bearing race it will shrink on cooling, and also give more purchase to tap it out from the other end. Otherwise the sleeve will stop you from knocking it out as it covers the edge of the race.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Use the old metal tube and put it down the arm so that it is resting on the outer race. Then put a large screwdriver or even the old bolt and force the tube firmly onto the outer bearing. If you are not removing the inner plastic tube then you will have to compress the inner plastic tube a bit. Then use a hammer to force the race out working round a bit at a time.

Works for me as I don't have a welder.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

yep, i did a similar thing IIRC, a combination of a long, flat head hammer through screwdriver and a bit of bashing got them out fairly easily....
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Ermel

Post by Ermel »

When doing them on my GTi, we had to cut the races with a Dremel tool, then poke them out once cut through. With the arm supported with the opening pointed up, cut down in a spiral. That way you spread the (unavoidable) damage to the arm over a larger area; it takes longer that way, but leaves the arm usable despite minor blemishes. Don't attempt cutting through all at once; weaken, then poke, repeat until the race gives. Took maybe an hour per side including cleanup of the seating, also with the Dremel.

Yours, Ermel.
Daily driver: BX 19 TZI Break climatisée, ETP (gris cristal met.), 1991, Orga 5457
Needs engine: BX GTi automatique, ETB (gris dolmen met.), 1992, Orga 5622
Needs everything but engine: BX 16 TGI Break, EJX (rouge furio), 1991, Orga 5302
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as Mat says
but i only run two short beads of mig opposite each other, instead of mig all the way around,
then if it doesn't fall out you have a ledge to tap them out by,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)