Height problem

BX Tech talk
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Height problem

Post by axbx »

Hello again
Doing some work on my BX before the winter sets in
The car has been standing a while due to a leaky radiator and low working spirits, and when I fire up the engine now the car rises to top height, both in front and rear, and wont be adjusted. Are both my height correctors faulty, and if so where do I find them? Never done any work on them before...
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Height problem

Post by Tinkley »

I had this when I changed the subframe. In the end it was air somewhere in the system. Eventually if you undo the pressure release/blled screw etc and do the 'Citrobcs' exercises it will push the air through and be normal. Expect to have to top up the reservoir though.
I was getting only 2 heights, full on low or full on high no intermediate settings ie road and high road ones.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Crud coming out of suspension in the LHM and settling to block valve. Sure this was my prob on getting Gary going after 5 years. Cleaned filters, had to rebuild rear adjuster anyway, defective but the amount of muck was enough to make Larry Greyson move to Eastbourne. Of course 5 years was time enough for it to go hard. Citrobatics should shift recent stuff, if that's even the prob.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

check your linkages on the underside where each rod end attaches to the height corrector, as the clips can break hence not giving full travel on the correctors, also worth checking your h/c's aren't stuck (moreso the rear from road crud etc) give them a good spray of wd40 or similar, leave to soak overnite, if ypur rear one is stuck/seized this can affect the op of the front one as they are both attached to the hi/lo lever, failing that your prob best to start by completely de-pressurising the system via the fdv bleed valve with the lever in low, and see what happens then after bleeding the air off.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

Thanks a lot again :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

please dont use that oribl W stuff,
it aint a lubricant at all, but a moisture displacent,
and it dont do that job very well as after using it it will atract dirt and dust, which in turn absorbs more moisture

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

WD40 is odd old stuff. Made out of fish. Used as a dispersant, but its hydroscopic so promotes rust. It has its imitators.

Many compounds are Hydroscopic. The plastic that is used as cheap bearing material often is. It has a design life, a short one. Crap. There are more expensive polymer based products that are not hydroscopic and better made machinery will use those., like Messerschmitts. Had to get my little buddies in somewhere. Teflon also absorbs a % of water, so it needs to be used with a non corroding partner otherwise its a totally pointless fitment. Diesel, Alcohol, the list goes on.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

PTFE (Teflon is a brand of it) has a make up that means that it has small holes in it. It can be put to good use in Goretex and Sympatex brand breathable clothing. Of course it is our non stick coating on frying pans etc.
Funny stuff as it creates sulphuric acid when being moulded so tools have to be of special steels and you have to deal with the unwanted waste too. One of the reasons it is not cheap.

Nylon 6 and 6/6 only work after absorbing water but not all nylons do absorb water so you need to know what grade you have. Acetal is not porous as far as I am aware, known as Delrin mainly in the UK and sold through polymer outlets in bar and sheet form. Both nylon and acetal are common bearing or bush materials.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

so it is a lubricant and penitrate, interesting facts. i like wd its good stuff.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

dont belive everything you read on the can,

although i heard the other day they recon it can cure arther right ass, whoooops i mean arthritis

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

they recon it can cure arther right ass,
I've got a problem with my right ass :shock: but I'm not about to go spraying it with WD40 :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

So no good if your left ass is giving trouble then!

All I know is, it's the worst thing to put on bicycle chains or in Sturmey Archer hub gears as it washes out whatever lubricant is in there.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Urban Myth or Carrot Country Clart?

Note it does not deny that fish are in the formulation there somewhere, only that they do not use fish oil, which we know, or it would smell of Trabbis. And that they claim they are eco friendly. Well yes...., in a squirty can kind of way which is not eco friendly at all really, though I agree that is the way the customer likes the product. Strangely fish are eco friendly as a product I would say, as long as sustainably fished. Ooh, you don't think.....
My source, top international fish vet who used to be at Fisson. I am more likely to believe him that official speak that contains only one fact to sound like several. But you can all believe what you like as it does not really matter. You buy it, or you do not, as suits your needs.

A tip. If you spray your left ass while looking in the mirror the other way it will work. You will probably get arrested, but it will work. WD40 as used by Slim of The Hampsters prior to any gigs including excellent covers of ZZ Top or Jimi Hendrix. Sadly now retired from gigging. Shares plummet.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

rutter123 wrote: i like wd its good stuff.
Me too , great stuff.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.