Speedo cable issues

BX Tech talk
Thread Bear
1K Away

Speedo cable issues

Post by Thread Bear »

Looking back on topics it would seem it is the top or dash end of the double cable that tends to fail. Having parted mine into halves while visiting the area for the LHM pump I would think that will be the case here as the lower inner is solidly located with a little free play movement.

I assume you cannot strip out the upper inner and replace without disturbing the dash board etc. Will not work if the stub end is bust off anyway, I guess.

I note also that the speedo heads can fail and that the actual connection to the head is iffy as well.

Are the cables on RHD all the same? Swapping TZD for TZD at the moment, so should be identical.

Sounds like a bit of a weak set up all round really. Already I do not like the angle the cable takes to go through the bulkhead. Larger the radius the better for the cable. If the rest as as poorly done could be mod time out of my amazing box of misc speedo cables. Only trouble is no one knows what half of them are off. Had quite a few hits from folk with really rare cars with this old stock. DKW, Lloyd, Simca Coupe, Goggo/Isar 700, DAF 32, an obscure Lotus etc.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Speedo cable issues

Post by Defender110 »

All top cables are the same just the bottom cables vary depending on engine fitment.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
ghaddon1701
BXpert

Post by ghaddon1701 »

They are easy to thread from the back of the dash pod down through the back of the dashboard if you remove the glovebox. The problem with them is the squares in the cable are plastic and they wear out and make the speedo needle wobble. But no it doesn't help that they had to thread it from the nearside to the offside for us Brits.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Ah, Plastic. I see. Probably the sort resistant to a repair. Could be a little frustrating but I guess its lasted its design life. Will have a fiddle.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

ghaddon1701 wrote:But no it doesn't help that they had to thread it from the nearside to the offside for us Brits.
This happened to an Englishman in France who was totally drunk.

The French policeman stops his car and asks the gentleman if he has been drinking.

With great difficulty, the Englishman admits that he has been drinking all day, that his daughter got married in the morning to a French man, and that he drank champagne and a few bottles of wine at the reception and a few glasses of single malt afterwards. Quite upset, the policeman proceeds to an alcotest and asks the Englishman if he knows why he has just been arrested.

With humor, the Englishman answers: And do you know that this is a British car and that my wife is driving... on the right side???

#-o
1991 BX19GTi Auto
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Defender110 wrote:All top cables are the same just the bottom cables vary depending on engine fitment.
The complete speedo cables on the BX 4x4's are different, (or on mine anyway) it has a solid bottom part that goes from the transfer box to the bulkhead & the bit that screws the 2 together is the opposite way about on the 4x4 cable compared to a standard cable.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).