heating fan and switch

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

heating fan and switch

Post by cacaolat »

recently my Bx's heating fan has stopped working for most of the time, but sometimes it still decides to come on, which makes me think that the motor is ok but the contacts may have a problem.
Also the turn dial for the warm and cold is stuck.
Are this easy things to fix ?
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: heating fan and switch

Post by citsncycles »

The temperature issue is probably a stuck tap - I've not done it myself, but I gather it's a fiddly job.

I think there's also a thread in the FAQ section detailing a mod that may solve the blower problem.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

It - blower on/off can be the rheostat under/behind the control knobs. Mat's got some other points of weakness that are also worth pursuing.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

carbon brushes on the blower motor can wear worth checking as they also stick, worth a good clean and check earth to blower motor as these corrode. usual common problems with these blower motors.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Another thing I've just thought of - there's a connector just in front of the blower under the bonnet that sometimes gives trouble - I sometimes have to give it a wiggle on Timex.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Most likely worn brushes on the motor - no longer available AFAIK so find some brushes from a BATTERY operated power tool which are bigger and file them to fit the motor. Don't use brushes from AC mains equipment - they are a different mix and will wear out quickly. Also wiggle connectors to clean as it all gets a bit damp in that area.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Thank you all for the replies, so far I have tried to wiggle the connectors and it seemed to work for a few hours but now I have to try some more. it takes so long to get round to it because of Lack of time and no garage, so evenings are not good for this.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Having pulled all the blower and control system completely apart just recently, there is nothing that is inaccessible like on some cars. The Citroen BX DIY item is helpful to a point. Certainly a good clean is not going to harm, and it picks out those points. The dash switch is not clever but again it can be cleaned - the PCB board with care to not remove the surface. It is is quite simple for the plastic disc to not be pushed home, stay home, or supply insufficient pressure to the small brass double contact placed under it. Heating the disc with steam from a kettle can re-profile it to do so, but not overly, as if the PCB board contact coatings are worn through, its an end game till another can by found, or you make a replacement. In my case I think the issue was, in fact, a corroded Blower PCB insert, which demounts from the back of the blower, where the four pin block connector goes. The blower assembly is not difficult to get out once the wiper nut, pressed in grill and plastic cover are out of the way. Three 10mm, remove the press fit domed inlet cover and two possidrive screws on a steel bracket, and it can be wriggled free. The motor can be tested exclusive of everything else quite simply, so soon eliminated as the problem if it works at speed and then loaded to check the power is consistent all rotation. You do not need to remove the blower to test it but you do to clean it properly. My original did not. I suspect its repairable but not making good contacts at parts of the commutator. So stop on a duff bit and no motor. Stop on a live bit it would work. As it turned out only part of my prob.

Half the task is inside the car so split into chunks you could do this over a few evenings since the car drives with most of this stuff hanging out or detached in the kitchen! You rather need a blower now the cold and damp is here.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars