$3 injection tune up

BX Tech talk
michaelr
Confirmed BX'er

$3 injection tune up

Post by michaelr »

My 19Tri has always had a rough idle since I got it and occasionally stalled. The engine malfunction light would show on over run if coasting down a longer hill.

Checking for error codes showed an O2 sensor problem which always returned after I cleared it.

Today I was searching for air leaks in the tubing between the intake manifold throttle and the air flow sensor but it all seemed OK except for a slightly loose oil filler cap. I wrapped it in sticky tape and found an immediate improvement so a $3 O ring was all it took. Much smoother and more stable idle and no error light on over run. I'll clear the codes again see if they return.

I am amazed at the difference as the possible air leakage must have been only small. It certainly looks like I have stumbled on the problem.
Michael, Sydney, Australia

BX19TRI Automatic
DS23 Pallas
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: $3 injection tune up

Post by Thread Bear »

The BX angels have nipped on Quantas for a holiday. Great to beat the odds, 'innit?
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

michaelr wrote:My 19Tri has always had a rough idle since I got it and occasionally stalled. The engine malfunction light would show on over run if coasting down a longer hill.

Checking for error codes showed an O2 sensor problem which always returned after I cleared it.

Today I was searching for air leaks in the tubing between the intake manifold throttle and the air flow sensor but it all seemed OK except for a slightly loose oil filler cap. I wrapped it in sticky tape and found an immediate improvement so a $3 O ring was all it took. Much smoother and more stable idle and no error light on over run. I'll clear the codes again see if they return.

I am amazed at the difference as the possible air leakage must have been only small. It certainly looks like I have stumbled on the problem.

I realise that it's a month later..(viewing forums less often) but good find Michael ..these little parcels of info can be very handy later..
I still must get up to visit you some time..i have just graduated uni so bit of time on my hands now..(up to 6 cars!!) would be good to hit the beach. u still live at manly?
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
michaelr
Confirmed BX'er

Post by michaelr »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote: I realise that it's a month later..(viewing forums less often) but good find Michael ..these little parcels of info can be very handy later..
I still must get up to visit you some time..i have just graduated uni so bit of time on my hands now..(up to 6 cars!!) would be good to hit the beach. u still live at manly?
Hi 2B, congrats on the graduation!

A trip to Sydney's northern beaches is always a good idea :) Let me know when you are coming and we can organise a BX get together. I have three in the local area and could probably manage another too. I am in North Manly. Drop me a PM when you have a trip planned.

I will be away over Christmas /New year.
Michael, Sydney, Australia

BX19TRI Automatic
DS23 Pallas
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

air leaks on petrol bx's seem rife, i have not long replaced all seals and rubbers on my gti 8v re-clamped and made up some new breather pipes, next job is clean the airflow meter pick ups, but it did make a difference, the idle is now rock solid and the car starts a lot easier with a nice steady cold idle too.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability