Slight front knock

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Slight front knock

Post by Tinkley »

When I brake to a standstill and then pull away I'm getting a very light 'knock' front n/s. It is not over dissimilar to the reverse rear brake knock. As I have about 1.5-2mm undercut on the front discs each side I am suspicious that really it is just pad to disc clearance issue. It is almost impossible to get exactly the 1mm clearance and get the pads past the outer rim of disc, another reason I don't like the Mintex pads, they don't sweep the outer part of the disc. New droplinks are tight, though I suppose it could be a steering ball joint (doesn't feel like play) or track rod end again that seems OK.

Is this a reasonable assumption? Any other thing it might be?. Doubt it is drive shaft either as that set has only done 120k and it was pretty good when I changed the CV boots 3k ago. The diesels punish them more than this petrol beast.

If it is, new discs and pads will be fitted, the Bendix ones if I can get them.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Slight front knock

Post by Defender110 »

When I had this it was just the subframe mounting bolts on one side very slightly loose allowing the subframe to move slightly. I just tightened up the 2 front mounting bolts and checked the other side and all was good. IIRC 2 different size bolt heads one is 14mm and one 13mm I think, the 2 that also hold the antiroll bar in place. If it is this check the rear mounting bolts too (Access to the nut through an access hole inside the cabin under the carpet)

My knock was front N/S too.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Slight front knock

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks Defender. Having just changed the subframe it is quite possible one of the bolts has come loose. I will get the spanners on 'em. Haven't put the tape over the inside 'holes' yet either!. It would also make sense, in terms of the very light noise and the nature of it.

Update. Have found the problem I think. The wishbone nuts had come a fraction loose. It is not so easy to tighten the n/s ones as the o/s. Hopefully nipping them up will sort the 'knock'. Subframe was still tight, thanks, it got me checking the right area. BTW bushes that side are about 1 yr old so are still pliable and tight, more so when the nuts stay there!.