Sunroof advice please

BX Tech talk
Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Sunroof advice please

Post by Stephen C »

The BX I have got is a mk1 and it has got a sunroof, the problem I have is the carrige mechanism which the window is fixed to and moves around on is badly rusted out, and because of this the window on the near side does not sit flat it sit about 5mm down, I can play about with the window and get it to sort of sit flat, but this is not the solution, I have been to the Citroen main dealer but the parts are no longer available, and I have looked around the Internet but with no luck on sourcing a new carrige,

So this looks like something I will have to sort out myself and the advice I am seeking is as follows.

1. Can Anyone please tell me how to remove the window and the carrige.

2. The windows seal is tired and need replacing can anyone plesae tell me where I can get this done or get a D.I.Y kit.

3. Now I am thinking of making or getting made, the carrige made out of stainless steel, but this would not be true to original , I would be interested in
your opinions on making something not original but is better, or making it out of non stainless steel and trying to be as near to original, is the best approach,
Of course if anyone knows where I can get a carrige would be even better.

Thank You for any advice , Stephen
MK1 1.9 DTR.............X6
2cv Van....................Napoleon

Honda FRV................Mr H
Honda CRV MK1.........bubble's
Honda Lawn Mower

BMW R100R...............When I grow up I want to be a [Honda]
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Sunroof advice please

Post by citronut »

to do major work on the sun roof you will need to drop the head lining down and out of the car, as the sun roof chassis is the head lining,

i do have a complete head lining with sun roof on buried in the dark corners of my shed, what condition its in now, i have no idea as its been there for a few years,

also im based at the bottom end of the A21

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Personally, if you're thinking of getting it fabricated I'd go for something better than the original. Material costs will be a small part of the overall price, and whatever you make it out of it won't be genuinely original. But it could always be replaced with a genuine part if (doubtful) a new one was ever found. Stainless could always be painted to look identical anyway!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stephen C »

to do major work on the sun roof you will need to drop the head lining down and out of the car, as the sun roof chassis is the head lining,

i do have a complete head lining with sun roof on buried in the dark corners of my shed, what condition its in now, i have no idea as its been there for a few years,

also im based at the bottom end of the A21

regards malcolm

Thank you for that Malcolm I now know more about what I need to do to get at the sunroof,

Stephen

Honda Lawn Mower

Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stephen C »

Personally, if you're thinking of getting it fabricated I'd go for something better than the original. Material costs will be a small part of the overall price, and whatever you make it out of it won't be genuinely original. But it could always be replaced with a genuine part if (doubtful) a new one was ever found. Stainless could always be painted to look identical anyway!

Yes I think your right, I was thinking along these lines myself but I probably would not paint it just leave it stainless steel.
Thank you for your opinion very much appreciated
Stephen.

Honda Lawn Mower

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Stephen, if you want to copy/highlight what someone has previously posted; just press the 'Quote' tab at the bottom right of the post you want to copy then input what you want to below it.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Defender110 wrote:Stephen, if you want to copy/highlight what someone has previously posted; just press the 'Quote' tab at the bottom right of the post you want to copy then input what you want to below it.

Then it will look like this.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Another Mark 1 Diesel Auto appears....
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stephen C »

Defender110 wrote:
Defender110 wrote:Stephen, if you want to copy/highlight what someone has previously posted; just press the 'Quote' tab at the bottom right of the post you want to copy then input what you want to below it.
Then it will look like this.
Thank You for that, me and computers are not the best of friends, I very much appreciate your help =D>

Stephen.

Honda Lawn Mower

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Jayboy wrote:Another Mark 1 Diesel Auto appears....

??
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

This one's not an auto, but I think a reappearance of the DTR Tim rebuilt.

If you cannot get a correct replacement, I'd go for making a replacement out of the best materials you can find. I don't know the sunroof assembly well, not having owned a sunroof equipped BX before, but the only word of caution I'd have about using stainless is that if it's in contact with bare mild steel, the mild will corrode even quicker than usual once damp.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stephen C »

citsncycles wrote:This one's not an auto, but I think a reappearance of the DTR Tim rebuilt.

If you cannot get a correct replacement, I'd go for making a replacement out of the best materials you can find. I don't know the sunroof assembly well, not having owned a sunroof equipped BX before,
but the only word of caution I'd have about using stainless is that if it's in contact with bare mild steel, the mild will corrode even quicker than usual once damp.
Interesting, thank you for that excellent advice

Stephen

Honda Lawn Mower

B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

First off..I've been too lazy to read the whole post/reply.

What I have to say is that all head linings/sunroofs are not the same ,,,,but sort of compatible..

I got given a 16v roof and headlining with a view to replace the very rusted one in the TRi.. All fits BUT the securing mounting screws were not in the same place...WTF...why would you change that?

Mods to get the bolts in were easy, but left holes where the previous bolts went..fortunately I didn't care at all with the old rough TRi. That said I can hide the old plugs easily

Roof Works lubly now..

Guess what I'm saying is don't bother with any pro mods..The cost will blow out,, and unless its a show car, just get another roof/headlining and craft it into your roof space.

Overall not a super hard job, but certainly not a quick fix especially if you don't have any help to hold the replacement unit in place whilst securing it.. I have memories of cushions as shims to raise the front and rear sections to allow mating the holes and threads..

PS get some help
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stephen C »