More problems, ignition and air in hydraulic system

BX Tech talk
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

More problems, ignition and air in hydraulic system

Post by axbx »

When I try to solve one problem I usually end up, always according to my fears, making more problems

My car has been standing for a year. I planned to make it roadworthy again for january. All I needed was a radiator change as the old one had started leaking cos of a loose bolt on the main accumulator. So I swapped it for another one.
The lever for raising and lowering the car had also gotten stuck. I hammered loose the pivot connected to the rear of the rod going along the car underneath and greased it up.

I notice the rear hydraulic tubes for the brakes and suspension are rusted almost through, the spiral tubes from the hydraulic fluid central distributor thing in between the rear wheels. I start to unscrew them and find out this is no job for me lying on a cold concrete floor having my eyes and lungs filled up with dust and rust so I decide to have a mechanic do this job. At this point the brake and suspension tubes on the right side are either dismantled or broken because of my fiddeling so the car leaks hydraulic fluid.
I park the car out side waiting to rent a car transport trailer to take it to a citroen mechanic.

Today I rent the trailer and as I start the car to drive it onto it, it wont rise, and as you may know it is not possible to get the car onto the trailer if it does not rise....... so I loosen the 12mm on the main acc. but nothing happens. So I fill up the hose going from the hydr.fluid tank to the pump with hyd.fluid. This didnt help and the car stands still. How do I go about fixing this? I dont know what else to do than these steps...

Turning the engine on and off during the attempts to fill the pump ruins the old battery. At this point I am angry and want to cry. I have a battery pack for empty battery situations like this, and in the heat of the moment I somehow do the minus-plus mistake, and sparks are flying. So I change the battery to a new one.
I now have power to the dahs light etc. but the glow relay wont work(glowing indicator turns off immediately) and there are no sign of life in the starter engine, it does not kick in or make a sound, like there is no power reaching it. Is the starter bust, or can I be lucky and just look for a fuse or something? And do I have to change the glowing relay? Wich cost over 100£.......
Or could there be electric leads that was destroyed ?

Thanks for any advice
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: More problems, ignition and air in hydraulic system

Post by citsncycles »

First the rear hydraulics - you need to either reconnect these or crimp off the ends of the pipes with locking pliers or similar in order to allow the system to build up pressure. Even if you only get the front to lift it should go on the trailer.

As for starting, I'm not sure what you may have damaged, but assuming the main battery leads and the starter are still good you can bypass any glowplug / starter wiring issues by switching on the ignition, running a lead from the battery straight to the glowplug feed, shorting across the 2 connectors on the starter solenoid to get it turning, then once the engine's running disconnect the glowplugs. That should at least get it running for loading to the trailer.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

The pipes are crimped, there is some leakage yet, but not at all much. Anyway shouldnt I hear the ticking from the hp system building up pressure? There are no sounds of this..

Thanks
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

axbx wrote:Anyway shouldnt I hear the ticking from the hp system building up pressure? There are no sounds of this..
Thanks
The HP Pump does not tick when building up pressure, one tick is heard when the regulator by the accumulator sphere assesses correct system pressure has been reached. If you hear frequent ticks then it usually means the accumulator sphere is at the end of it's life.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It's possible that the system now needs bleeding. Opening and closing the bleed screw and moving the steering backwards and forwards will help accomplish this.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!