Clutch Change for a Novice

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Clutch Change for a Novice

Post by Tim Leech »

Is it possible with basic tools, I have axle stands and trolley jack, a basic socket set and a dry warm garage with power.

Its a big step for me, Ive been quoted £180 to get it done at Bourne Citroen which sounds fair but its £180 I havent got spare.

Any Ideas or special tools.

Thanks
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Clutch Change for a Novice

Post by Tinkley »

I've only done the 1.6 petrol but removed 2 of these lumps c/w box. Easy to do once box is off especially the Valeo one as they give you the centreing tool/mandrel.

The one tool I had to borrow apart from an engine hoist was a 35mm socket for the wheel nuts. Loosen these with the car on the ground and handbrake on hard. I had to use a 2 meter scaffold tube on the socket (1/2" drive) and put two wheel studs back in (as wheel still rotated) and a steel spike braced against them to get them to loosen. All the other connections and parts were OK with standard tools ie socket set/ring spanners/allen keys etc.

There is quite a bit of advice on the diesel variant (on the Forum) which uses the same BE3 gearbox (different ratios of course) and there seemed to be agreement, it is easier with whole lot out but doable leaving engine in place if freed to move and supported. The problem is getting the gearbox splined shaft aligned on reassembly. The more space you have to manoevre the box and align it the easier it should be. If it is incredibly tight mainly underneath, removing the lot would be easier. Basically if you have a ramp or a pit you should be able to do it. I only had supports and large wood blocks (cut tree sections) and it was very tight underneath with no pit. Mothmans' ramps or similar would be good, certainly better.

Remember to tape or cable tie the lever after putting the release bearing and arm into the box - it holds it all in the right place. Remove after assembled. As far as I can work out that applies to both ball and socket and lever arm assemblies. The 2 types have different release bearings so be prepared to hunt out the other one if you don't have a match, they are NOT interchangeable.

Obviously you will need new gearbox oil but you might get away with the old driveshaft seals. They are easy to change BTW. Try Nielsons (I think) for the Total BV80/90.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

For a novice, with little experience, you're asking for a headache.

It isn't difficult by any means as clutch changes go, but that's based on a lot of experience of various cars, vans & trucks.

Particular lowlights are lack of space for withdrawing the box and especially getting it back in (to which there is a knack to reduce swearing tolerance), withdrawing & refitting the driveshaft intremediate bearing and undoing the hubnuts if their solid (if you're so inclined, i leave them in situ and release the bottom balljoint to withdraw the hub far enough for the shafts to clear).

Basic tools are mostly fine but you'll need a centering tool for the plate (or a trusty bit of dowel & gaffer tape like i've had in my toolbox for the past 10 years) and lots & Lots of strength & patience.

The HBOL would mostly serve you well although there are a number of ways to save time over it.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks for the advice chaps, worth considering. Unless anyone wants to have a pop at it for beer tokens!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I am happy to play with spanners but for £180 my car would be at Bourne this time of year! Sounds a reasonable price, probably because they can do it with their eyes shut. Not only that, but you will get a report on all the bolluxed bits they found while they did it. Yeah, its better not to know 'innit! Likely to be more than £180.

However with money becoming a scarce commodity........Did I say my clutch slip is not any worse than 4,000 miles ago. Convinced the thing is not worn out but only unadjustable.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Thread Bear wrote:.Did I say my clutch slip is not any worse than 4,000 miles ago. Convinced the thing is not worn out but only unadjustable.
My clutch started to slip about three years and 36k ago - turned out to be the operating arm pivot having partially seized. Worked some oil down into it and worked it backwards ad forwards 'til it moved cleanly, and it's been fine ever since.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Tim, its a time consuming and tricky job too due the space limitations, having to support the engine and dropping the box out underneath. I take the rad out for more clearance and remove the speedo adapter too as mentioned in the DIY pages.
The worst bit is raising the box back up into position and lining it up with the engine before sliding it into position.
Save up the money is my advice.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If you start doing this & you damage something, it'll only cost more to get fixed, likewise, if you get stuck, then how will you get the car to someone who will do it?? I'm all for giving it a go, but sometimes when the cost of the job is quite cheap, why take the risk, if it was summer then it probably would be worth a try, but in this weather, you'll regret ever trying tbh.

Try Shaune to see what he'll charge.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cheers Chaps, I have decided to let someone have a go for the reasons you above.

I am Shaun will be a bit cheaper than barry but actually getting him to do it is another thing!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Beg :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Tim Leech wrote:Cheers Chaps, I have decided to let someone have a go for the reasons you above.
Good idea..

I have done pretty much everything mechanical on all sorts of cars but I stray away from east west engined clutches..It can get messy (gearbox oil etc) exhausting, frustrating and time consuming. The shop you send it to will most likely try to up-sell a flywheel skim, drive-shaft seal and also a rear end crankshaft seal..This rear seal replacement is a good idea actually.

Good luck
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

fairly straight forward no special tools needed, i found on a diesel its best to remove the rad as the fdv can foul the rad when removing the box, little tip for refitting the box, use a sturdy block of wood or bar across the bulkhead and slam panel use a rachet strap with hooks thru the g/box lifting eye and lift it using the rachet, this will pull it up pretty much in line and save a lot of effing and jeffing, also helps if you remove the top engine mount, you can leave the o/s drive shaft in situ just remember to put it back in at same time of refitting the box. you can also use the rachet strap around the engine to aid lifting/lowering. caution around the hydraulic pipes as these can quite easily come dislodged when removing the gbox and trapped when refitting. use new driveshaft seals and ensure the thrust bearing is properly located, buy a quality clutch kit as cheap ones are rubbish as i found out, its a job you only want to do once. good luck should see it done in a day.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Tim Leech wrote:Cheers Chaps, I have decided to let someone have a go for the reasons you above.
Very wise, I do feel you would have used considerably more than £180 worth of your own time on this job if you haven't done one before although if you never do one you will never know. If you have loads of spare time to do it slowly and methodically leaving it and coming back to it as when time allows then maybe but I'm sure you will keep thinking to yourself 'I could have had this done for £180'. IMHO you must always consider the value of your own time and what you could be doing with it with friends/family when making decisions like this.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Defender110 wrote:IMHO you must always consider the value of your own time and what you could be doing with it with friends/family when making decisions like this.
Wise words indeed. FWIW, clutch and gearbox jobs on FWD cars are probably my least favourite jobs - heavy, awkward parts that have to be aligned precisely, with never quite enough space to do it!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

I have as yet never had to change a clutch on a BX, but have on my Visa 17D.

A neat idea to aid aligning the drive shaft back into the clutch centre.

Use one of the gearbox bell housing bolts, obtain some threaded rod or a longer bolt same thread.
Make up 2 or 3 studs at least 3 times the length of the original bolt, grind off 2 bolt lengths of thread and taper the end.
Cut a screwdriver slot in the tapered end, (to aid inserting and removal).

Screw these into the engine side bell housing, you can then hang the gearbox on these, then jiggle to engage into the clutch centre.

Remove them and replace with correct bolts.
Visa 17D 1986 192K Sorn
BX 17RD 1986 220K Scrapped 2013 - Too much rust.
BX 17TZD 1992 192K
306 XRDT 1996 175K