BX steering rack gaiters

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
rugmuncher
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 1.4 RE, BX TZD TURBO, BX TZD Turbo, BX TXI, BX TZD TURBO

BX steering rack gaiters

Post by rugmuncher »

Greetings fellow bxites. I find myself in need of a set of steering rack gaiters for my '92 BX TZD. I got a set from Ebay but they turned out to be just a universal pair and not suitable for the BX. Bum! If anyone has a set, or knows where I might find a set, I would be most grateful for any help. It would be a shame to see "Kevin" fail his mot for the lack of a little bit of rubber. [-o< Cheers all.
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: BX steering rack gaiters

Post by Way2go »

These are available from most good motor factors either off the shelf or to order. They usually come as a pair (& best to check that they are dissimilar as one supplier gave me 2 nearside ones once). They need to be rubber not plastic in order to fit whilst on the car.

I would avoid GSF on rubber items being as their strut returns perish in less than a year as I have learned several times to my cost!

There is a a BXC owners club card to print under "Club Membership Benefits" that will usually secure a discount of 10% or more "owners club discount" at many of the Factors but you likely will have to chase an "admin" to update it to 2014. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pogo »

Nearside or offside need doing ? - nearside is a pig to do apparently
1990 Black BX GTI
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

best get after mear cat rubber gaiters,

as the OE type are thermo plastic and do not stretch, you will really really need the N/S gaiter to stretch :shock: :shock: :roll: #-o :wink:

GSF can supply

http://www.firstline.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these are good quality gaiters,
mind you ask for tailored fit, and not just the universal type,

do NOT BUY OE unless you intend removing and stripping the rack completely,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The steering rack gaitors that I've purchased for the job are:

Drivelink DG168 for the near side. These are good but it does help to prestretch them over the cones used for cvj stretchy boots immediately prior to fitting and use a spoon to ease and protect them as they slide over the steering ram knuckle.

ShaftTech SRG548. Used for the offside but is a kit that contains the nearside gaitor as well.

Quality of both was much better than the OE boots they replaced.
1991 BX19GTi Auto