Door Leaks

BX Tech talk
Condorman

Door Leaks

Post by Condorman »

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help or offer suggestions but here goes.
I have a BX estate which leaks water onto the floor behind the driver's seat. There was some seepage on the top edge of the rear window behind the door, which I sealed with silicone. The leak seemed to be through the top of door seal as there was occasionally a damp patch on the seat. With the wind and rain we've been having, even here in Kent, it might have been blown in but I have now taped over the gap at the top of the door and part way down the rear edge but the water is still coming in.
I can't see or feel any tell-tale runs down the carpet but there is still a damp patch on the floor. I've mopped it up with a towel but a dry one is soon wet again. It's as if the water just appears on the floor. The car doesn't have a sunroof, so it's not that and the door seal itself looks good all the way round. It may not be properly fitted in some way but it isn't obvious, so any ideas?
Current cars:
BX 19TRS estate
Rover 75 CDT Club auto estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Door Leaks

Post by citsncycles »

Is the edge of the roof lining wet? if so it could be coming through the roof, either through a roof rail mount, or the seam underneath the edge capping between the roof and side may be letting water through. I have a similar issue with Timex, although I've not traced the cause yet.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would peel back the carpet and trim and sit inside whilst someone else is outside with a hose pipe wetting the car through, you should then be able to physically see where the water is coming in.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

probably not the door seal leaking i would guess that if you have a sunroof fitted it would be a case of the drain tubes being blocked, if so the water will overflow from the roof lining causing the carpets to get wet, worth unblocking all the drain tubes as the sunroof is designed to leak into the headlining plastic tray, there is a drain tube situated at each corner which become blocked with silt and leaves etc, front ones tend to block up more than the rear. i found this on my tzd when i park the car with the o/s wheels up the kerb the n/s footwells got wet cos the front drain tube nearside was blocked.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

rutter123 wrote:probably not the door seal leaking i would guess that if you have a sunroof fitted it would be a case of the drain tubes being blocked, if so the water will overflow from the roof lining causing the carpets to get wet, worth unblocking all the drain tubes as the sunroof is designed to leak into the headlining plastic tray, there is a drain tube situated at each corner which become blocked with silt and leaves etc, front ones tend to block up more than the rear. i found this on my tzd when i park the car with the o/s wheels up the kerb the n/s footwells got wet cos the front drain tube nearside was blocked.
:?:
Condorman wrote:The car doesn't have a sunroof, so it's not that and the door seal itself looks good all the way round.
:wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

citsncycles wrote:it could be coming through the roof, either through a roof rail mount, or the seam underneath the edge capping between the roof and side may be letting water through
The roof rail mounts are (or should be!) blind holes, so my guess would be the latter. I've had this in an estate, and have also seen what I took to be stress cracks in the roof skin at the outer edge just where the level kicks up slightly - near the roof rail centre support.

Another possible I've come across is leaking into the U section on the door seal on the A pillar, travelling round and exiting at the bottom. In this case the actual seal between door and rubber can be OK. That would be more likely to be seen at the front of the door aperture though.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

The door seal in good order is good enough to keep flood water out, I have proved that this winter. I think the guys are on it with a roof related issue as you should see a seal failure unless the car has been subject to a botched repair.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars