Auto won't go into "park"

BX Tech talk
merlyn
BXpert

Auto won't go into "park"

Post by merlyn »

Hi to all you knowledgeable types,
My car has stopped going into "Park" when I push the gear selector forward. It gets as far as Reverse and that's it. I won't be able to fix it myself being very non-mechanical but could anyone advise of the probable scale of the problem. Is it something I shold just live with or a job that needs doing, is it going to be a big, expensive job or a fairly simple one? I realise that nobody can say for certain without having a proper look but some guidance about what I can expect the garage to say would be helpful.

Cheers, Jane
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
sdelasal
BXpert

Re: Auto won't go into "park"

Post by sdelasal »

Jane - I would think it'd be something simple - like a mechanical link needing freeing up or lubricating, some thing that could be found and cured quite quickly with the car high up on the garage ramps.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Maybe the gearbox lockout solenoid which i think doubles up as the reverse light switch as well, or poss the linkage that runs from the gearshift lever. Thats where i would start.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I presume there has been no attempt whilst reversing to move the lever to "Park" before the car has ceased moving? If so, then burring or damage to the transmission lock would have resulted. :(

If not, a couple of simple checks you could make would be to unscrew the indicator plate of the selector stick, lift it up and see if there is any foreign body in the space below impeding the movement of the stick.
Also (under the bonnet) if you look directly down from the front corner of the battery you can see the other end of the selector rod/arm on the autobox and just check there is nothing fouling the movement that end.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I imagine it's probably the shifter mechanism itself, the button you squeeze when you shift into park works on a metal j shaped bar moving up and down inside the shifter. If this comes out of adjustment it will stop you parking. I've had mine apart on the tzi when I converted it from left to rhd and put back together wrong and I couldn't select P. can you choose 1, 2 and 3 ok? If not it's the shifter.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I have a gearshift lever from an auto with the small metal rod should u need it, it came from my 92 tgd that is now manual.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

I was planning to take the car in next week to have it sorted whilst I'm on leave but this evening I lost "Reverse" also so I called the RAC. The guy they sent out did all the usual "There's not many of these left on the road, if any." and then told me that he doesn't know much about them. A quick look under the bonnet produced an "It's very rusty" and he then decided it was the cable seized up due to rust. Then he sat inside and forced the selector forward causing it to seize up in some position that wouldn't allow me to turn the ignition. So instead of a car with no reverse I had a car with no power at all. Having had a look at my Haynes manual he decided to remove the surround and try to free up the selector. This was successful to a degree, I still don't have "Park". He then couldn't work out why it wasn't working before and was now and how to put it all back together properly. We agreed to leave the cover off (Tim Leech suggested this also) so that I can at least get to the garage tomorrow. Hope they can fix it as I'm supposed to be driving to Skipton on Friday.
While he was messing about trying to unscrew the selector a man in a white van drove past and took off the RAC van's wing mirror and just drove off as if nothing had happened! Part of me is saying what a prat and part of me is saying "Hahahahaha!"
(now sadly gone)

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Hiya Jane. Skipton isn't a million miles away from Lancaster, so if you get stuck let me know.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Cheers Mark. If it isn't fixed properly I doubt we'll be heading for Skipton anyway. Fingers crossed!
(now sadly gone)

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Hope it gets sorted, and bad luck with the RAC - On the odd occasion I've had to call them I must have been lucky as they've either taken my home with no argumen or followed my advice on what's wrong.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I found the RAC to be better than the AA. remember if youre a CCC member it entitles you to a discount!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I gather that the RAC are one of the few that actively try to employ a few people who know the old cars in hope that they can send them to the relevant calls where possible
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Its when you get a subcontractor I find you have problems and some ape in a filthy hi-viz jacket shows up with a large selection of hammers....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I've been with the AA for over 22 years now and can't complain. Never had any problems with call-outs. Plus you get 20% off at various retailers when you show your AA card.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

I get RAC through my bank along with my mobile phone insurance.
Up till now I have found them to be very knowledgeable and one or two have been quite enthusiastic about my BX.
Anyway, I took it to the garage this morning and it is now working again. The cable was pretty well seized up but they've lubricated it very enthusiastically and it now is much better than its been for a long time. I do need a new cable at some point but at least it's sorted for now.
(now sadly gone)