brake lights not working?

BX Tech talk
bussell
Confirmed BX'er

brake lights not working?

Post by bussell »

Hi all, mot sure if anyone out there might be able to help. I have just picked up my new (old) BX and have noticed that the brake lights do not work.

i have ruled out the switch and bulbs and eventually put a test meter on the wires going to the brake switch and there is no current - all the fuses loom fine???

i am a bit confused,

if you have any ideas of where I cam check next i would be very grateful

It is a 1990 TZD Turbo

thanks

Ed
Ed Beech - Bussell

1989 14E Leader
1985 Volkswagen Transporter Camper
1995 Land Rover Defender 110
2021 Audi e-tron Sportback
David
BXpert

Re: brake lights not working?

Post by David »

Do the: electric windows, green dash back lights, sunroof, map reading lights & wipers work? If not its a fuse in the fusebox (I can't remember which one). (The fusebox is under the dash on the left side). Also if you send 12V live to the (input) side of the brake light switch, do they come on like they should?

There are 3 circuits in the ignition (4 including the starter) The brake lights (& items mentioned above) are on No2. The reversing lights, Rev counter, dip dim control, fan relay & ignition are on No3 & the instrument panel, indicators, heater are on No1

If the rest of the circuit is fine & the above mentioned items work it will probably be a broken wire.
You can use a temporary repair by getting power from something & putting it to the input side of the brake switch.
Someone else might be able to help more than me if it is a broken wire, As I don't know where it goes.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Has it had a tow hitch removed? Might be a poor reconnection.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
bussell
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bussell »

David wrote:Do the: electric windows, green dash back lights, sunroof, map reading lights & wipers work? If not its a fuse in the fusebox (I can't remember which one). (The fusebox is under the dash on the left side). Also if you send 12V live to the (input) side of the brake light switch, do they come on like they should?

There are 3 circuits in the ignition (4 including the starter) The brake lights (& items mentioned above) are on No2. The reversing lights, Rev counter, dip dim control, fan relay & ignition are on No3 & the instrument panel, indicators, heater are on No1

If the rest of the circuit is fine & the above mentioned items work it will probably be a broken wire.
You can use a temporary repair by getting power from something & putting it to the input side of the brake switch.
Someone else might be able to help more than me if it is a broken wire, As I don't know where it goes.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information - I will try running a power supply direct to the switch to see if that helps out. There is already another live feed coming in for the aftermarket indicator relay so I will piggyback off that one to avoid disturbing anything else factory and see how I get on.

Cheers Ed
Ed Beech - Bussell

1989 14E Leader
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If a new feed doesn't cure it check the connections into the (from memory) LH rear light cluster - I've had issues with the connector from the loom in the past.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You're correct Mike, it is the LH side. There is a 7 way connector into the LH side, and the RH side is actually fed from a separate connection out of the LH unit! So a problem there could affect both sides.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
bussell
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bussell »

Thanks for that, I had a look under the l/h light and there are a lot of wires there due to the tow bar electrics - the bulb holder has been repaired in the past where the feed comes in and out to the other cluster - I think someone has re soldered some of the circuit board where it had corroded/melted in the past. They have then covered it with some kind of orange goop (it looks like amber??)

I will try and get another bulb holder as this is less than ideal even if it is not the problem -

I will update when I have a chance to look at this later on -
Ed Beech - Bussell

1989 14E Leader
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Hey ho. Tow hitchs and rear light reliability. Should be able to gain a light backplate. Its worth cleaning out the flat loom connectors while your waiting. If the loom wires are messed might be worth picking up at least the across the back one. I am looking at doing a front to back, looks a sod.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The correct tow hitch electrics ie Citroen fitted ones, use a brown plastic connector for the ancillary feed. I have re mounted my original tow bar and electrics twice now with no problems at all. Usually it is the tow connector end!. The standard factory BX accepts the plastic connector straight into a slave socket on l/h side rear as none of the two other cars I fitted it to had a tow hitch before but I had no problems at all. The loom going to the tow bar does interfere with getting the rear carpet to sit down tight but otherwise is OK.

Of course if someone used those blue clip in connectors instead......
bussell
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bussell »

Tinkley wrote:The correct tow hitch electrics ie Citroen fitted ones, use a brown plastic connector for the ancillary feed. I have re mounted my original tow bar and electrics twice now with no problems at all. Usually it is the tow connector end!. The standard factory BX accepts the plastic connector straight into a slave socket on l/h side rear as none of the two other cars I fitted it to had a tow hitch before but I had no problems at all. The loom going to the tow bar does interfere with getting the rear carpet to sit down tight but otherwise is OK.

Of course if someone used those blue clip in connectors instead......

I think it is citroen fitted bar, no blue clips - I learned that lesson on my old Picasso - she really didn't like the towbar wiring using the blue clips and all sorts of light issues followed - including bizarrely a reduction in the voltage going to the front sidelights which had to be converted to LED - Ended up removing them all and doing it properly
Ed Beech - Bussell

1989 14E Leader
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The actual towbar (oe Citroen fitted one) is a substantial thing with two large diameter tubes about 45mm diameter. Maybe a bit of corrosion somewhere, definitely check the earth point as any bad earth will give problems. The two sides are linked so if one works the other should too, unless a bulb has gone. I can't remember offhand, but one side, I think the left does have an earth stud and nut.
bussell
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bussell »

Tinkley wrote:The actual towbar (oe Citroen fitted one) is a substantial thing with two large diameter tubes about 45mm diameter. Maybe a bit of corrosion somewhere, definitely check the earth point as any bad earth will give problems. The two sides are linked so if one works the other should too, unless a bulb has gone. I can't remember offhand, but one side, I think the left does have an earth stud and nut.
Hi, yes it is an OE by your description - and the wiring plugs directly into the back of the left hand light and despite there being lots of wires in behind the light unit it is neat and tidy.

I'm pretty sure that the main feed from the fusebox has failed as I have double checked with my multi-meter at the brake pedal switch and there is no power coming through - this weekend I will put a fuse on the permanent feed to the after market indicator relay (which it is lacking right now and comes direct from the battery!) and will check the system with power in it.
Ed Beech - Bussell

1989 14E Leader
Pallas

Post by Pallas »

Brakelight switch and ignition switch are one of the most common faults if both the lights don't work!
I run my brakelights over a relay with an antiparallel diode. The switch operates only the relay - no problems since even when pulling trailers! :)
bussell
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bussell »

Hi all, thanks for your advice - it really helped me get brake lights working again - the earth behind the left cluster was cleaned - still no brake lights - then I cleaned the connector from the loom to the bulb holder and success! - all rear lights working.

Plus I fitted a new light/indicator switch and I have main beam now.

All lights except fog lights now working!
Ed Beech - Bussell

1989 14E Leader