So. Speedo cables.....I might need one.

BX Tech talk
demag
BXpert

So. Speedo cables.....I might need one.

Post by demag »

What is the situation with these? Are they available anywhere?

What about Ax, Xantia or Zx cables, or even 205, 306 or 405? Does anyone know if they are similar?

Edit: I was just looking at pics of Bx clocks and 205 clocks on ebay and they look identical. Surely they used the same gearboxes as well?
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Re: So. Speedo cables.....I might need one.

Post by MULLEY »

I think there is a posting somewhere to do with a company called speedy cables who can make them for the bx.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Apparently Speedy Cables can make up a new cable foe you, but need to use your plastic clip that goes on the speedo head.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

demag wrote:What is the situation with these? Are they available anywhere?

What about Ax, Xantia or Zx cables, or even 205, 306 or 405? Does anyone know if they are similar?

Edit: I was just looking at pics of Bx clocks and 205 clocks on ebay and they look identical. Surely they used the same gearboxes as well?
Hi Dave,
If the PSA range have the same locking clip on the speedo-head end as the BX, it seems this is going to be the main problem that 'speedy Cables' have with making them up (Unless your old one is salvageable, but they tend to break due to age of the plastic) :cry:
sdelasal wrote:ummm - "speedy cables" not being able to make new items is worrying - I think that means old stock or used is he only option - anyone know otherwise? Mine has gone but luckily I have a used spare.
puddock wrote:He said that ot was because of the plastic clip that fits onto the back of the clock. When they taken off they break and they aren't able to make those parts. They can still make the cable part but I suppose that's no use if the connector gets broken in the process
The /\ quotes from THIS thread which 'Ian Fearn' made the initial enquires for an after market replacement !
Ian_Fearn wrote:..............................
With hindsight i'd have asked them to fit the bulkhead seal and dust cover during manufacture but I had no idea how it was going to turn out. If you're going to use the same company as me, i'd suggest writing them some VERY explicit instructions on exactly what you want.

Anyway, the company I used was Richfield Speedograph. The service was absolutely useless (they could REALLY use a business improvement chap in there!) BUT the price was right (£22.74 posted to my door including VAT) and despite all the nagging for them to actually do the job, the end result is great.

The needle is absolutely rock solid, I really am not exaggerating, its totally weird looking at the steady needle :D
I hope this maybe of help !

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

This is clearly a problem part which Citroen botched in the first place. A perfect candidate for a limited production run using a better design.

However the question as to the suitability of other similar cars in the manufacturers stable has yet to be answered. Probably scrapyard time to see what might fit, or just to collect the ends for re use, if there are any. Not looked to hard at these but the gear box end is nothing clever and I could make those. I need three cables now.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Can someone post a pic or two of the ends please? Also what is the length, about a metre?
Looking at some of the above reviews are these independent makers really that good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

This is probably a stupid question, but would it be possible it remove the speedo cable all together & put an electric one in? I have seen electric drives for the gearbox in Peugeot 405s, & possibly others. It would just need something to go in the BX instrument panel that was calibrated, 2 lives (1 to each side), 2 neutrals (1 to each side), & a interconnecting wire.

Would this be possible?
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

demag wrote:Can someone post a pic or two of the ends please? Also what is the length, about a metre?
Looking at some of the above reviews are these independent makers really that good?
Dave :? Did you not open up the link I posted /\ to 'Ian Fearns' post ?

But to make things easier for you :-
Ian_Fearn wrote:I've no idea if this sort of thing has been posted before but hopefully it'll be of some use to somebody.

If, like me, you've been struggling to get a replacement speedo cable then a custom built cable REALLY is the answer.

It appears the cables are obsolete, certainly everywhere i've tried (including dealers) can't get them anymore.

So, in all its glory, new vs. old. The new one is a single piece.

The replacement cable didn't come with the dust cover at the gearbox end so I cut this and re-assembled with a few zip ties, works wonderfully. I supplied my original cable and they said they'd destroy the old cable so they could re-use the dust cover but they didn't.....

I also cut the bulkhead seal to fit it around the new cable as shown below, again works well.

Furthermore, the gearbox union didn't have the 2 small 'O' ring seals so i've had to re-use these of my old cable, although my old cable only lasted 18months.

With hindsight i'd have asked them to fit the bulkhead seal and dust cover during manufacture but I had no idea how it was going to turn out. If you're going to use the same company as me, i'd suggest writing them some VERY explicit instructions on exactly what you want.

Anyway, the company I used was Richfield Speedograph. The service was absolutely useless (they could REALLY use a business improvement chap in there!) BUT the price was right (£22.74 posted to my door including VAT) and despite all the nagging for them to actually do the job, the end result is great.

The needle is absolutely rock solid, I really am not exaggerating, its totally weird looking at the steady needle :D
:lol:

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

David, I don't see why an electrical solution wouldn't be possible, but probably beyond the skills of most people! It's something I'll be looking at though later this year for the V8 Hyundai, as I have a totally mismatched collection of components I'd like to operate the original speedo.

Looking at Ian F's post, it seems that Richfield Speedograph didn't need to use the upper end fitting from the pattern cable but were able to supply their own grey fitting. Might be worth contacting them as they may not even require a pattern if they've kept records from this job. Plus the price is hardly steep!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Oops no sorry did not see those pics. #-o
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

A new cable is good. If it is a superior quality, then even better. That gets us back to equivalent or slightly better than standard.

However;
I do not see that a jointed cable should be any more prone to fail than a one piece cable, if of suitable quality and fitted correctly. So why do these cables fail?

The question remains is the routing correct. Speedo cables are best used in large arcs to reduce the friction and thus wear and strain on the installation. Sharp changes in direction are out. If there is a sharp angle it will be there, or behind the header either end, that the cable will fail as they are the points that get loaded up. The BX TZD, at first glance, looks to have a poor routing to me. The joint of the two cables is under load for a start! The 16 TRS is a lot better, but has failed as well. So the TZD might want a non standard length of cable re routed to get some nice long curves in.

The second issue is the manufacturers went into a competition to produce the most pathetic connection in the late 70's, for some reason. It seems to revolve about not understanding the weakness of plastics. Smith's conspired to produce the worst I have seen. The fit once end, if your lucky, as used on Type 70 AC. Complete rubbish.
If the joint is not stiff when mounted it will fail right there. The fact that so many speedo heads seem to fail suggests that the dash end might be not very good on these cars. I have yet to look at whats bust, how it fits and where it all goes yet. My gut feeling is that the speedo cable rooting needs altering on the diesels and I will find the Speedo cable to dash joint inadequate. Before now I have sheathed these poor joints in rubber pipe, shrink wrap or other devices to get some stiffness into the assembly and the angle of approach straighter.

Certain installations are impossible. RHD Goggo saloons eat cables at about every 5,000 miles, if your lucky. The cable has to rotate with the king pin as it locates on the hub cap. Rubbish. When the design is so crap it is easier to get a bicycle digital speedo and stick it on the dash. Its more accurate anyway. Cheap and simple answer to crap.

That speedo cables made correctly, and to a good quality, work fine is exemplified by an early Belgium 2CV I had with a bunch of extras on it for driving on parve roads, Raoul Boot etc. You could run a sheep wool clipper, included, from the demounted speedo drive on tickover (traffic clutch). So the cable technology can cope with a load, its the way its fitted that is at issue. That is down to the quality of your production engineers and there ability to influence the accountants.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Ok I bit the bullet today and ordered an old one from a 205 scrapper for a few quid. Either it will fit or it won't fit so I'll report back. The ends look identical. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think the reliability issues with speedo cables is down to Citroen's typically poor engineering when it comes to RHD cars. Every Citroen I've had has been compromised in some way in RHD form, and with BX's it seems to be in the form of poor speedo cable routing, a tendancy to demist the passenger side of the screen first and some access issues. It's still better than some though.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I've not noticed that demist issue but then it's probably okay anyway when you've got the two fan set-up. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto