Front to rear (or rear to front) LHM pipe

BX Tech talk
Oscar
1K Away

Front to rear (or rear to front) LHM pipe

Post by Oscar »

Hi

This pipe will need replacing soon, it's only a few microns thick in places. It's on the passenger side of the car and is one of two thicker pipes that run in a straight line from the front to the back.

My questions are: what does it do? is it tricky to change (doesn't look it but you never know)? can it be ordered from GSF or should I get one locally?

Thanks as ever

Oscar
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

feeds (or returns) fluid from the rear suspension/brakes system.

I've not done it, but i doubt its too hard to change, just a case of clip out clip in i suspect.

I believe they can be ordered from GSF but i cant find it in the magazine (usually cant find anything in there though!), don't think there too expensive to buy and fit so long as you do it yourself! Really you need to have ramps or perhaps a good number of axle stands, the higher you can get the car the more room you have to work in!

Y'all be reet!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The most difficult part of this job is getting the pipe unions out of either the rear height corrector or the rear 3 way brake pipe union.

The front end is usually nicely covered in a thick layer of oily gunge whereas the rear is far more exposed.
Over and out from me
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I've only ever taken these OFF a BX (cunifer pipes I salvaged from a scrapper but which then fell foul of a moving-house mass clearout).
Replacements about a tenner per pipe from your favourite OEM car parts supplier. As stated above, the pipe unions are not pleasant, and may be well corroded-in. One pipe at a time seems to be the most sensible way to proceed. If making-up these pipes, I'd strongly recommend upping the union nuts to 10mm if possible - it makes the job a lot easier, and they survive corrosion/rounding better. This was what I found on the cunifer pipes, and they were blissfully easy to remove, unlike the 8mm height-corrector unions on a much newer BX.

It's been suggested in the past that the job of threading the pipes under the rear subframe may be easier if the rear subframe is dropped first. As I should be dropping mine shortly for a different reason I'll take a look at the time, if still relevant.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have always managed to wangle them through the small gap without removing the rear subframe, its best to replace the four of em while your at it , I use genuine cit ones the pre bent shapes help to see what goes where.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Although it may not be relavent now? the pipes can be wiggled through the intended gap but you're better of removing the n/s swing arm, this way you can get them back exactly where they should be. If memory serves :? as you look at the pipes clipped to the chassis side,
no4 the bottom one is the return pipe from the HC,
no3 second from bottom is the safety valve to HC,
no2 is the rear suspension feed pipe, runs from joint on front subframe to a brass T connectotr on rear subframe,
no1 at the top is the rear brake feed pipe, runs from front subframe to brass T connector on rear subframe.

Hope this info is useful and doesn't put you off. Every BX enthusiast should try this once. :twisted:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Ken and everyone else.....thanks for all your help and input, however subsequent investigation showed that this pipe is in fact....

.....Oh God I'm so embarassed.....

the fuel return pipe from the pump.... :oops: :?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Oscar, dont be embarrassed. BE THANKFULL. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!