wanted new or as new idle valve assembly for my 1990 BX 16v

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Pete Crane

wanted new or as new idle valve assembly for my 1990 BX 16v

Post by Pete Crane »

Does anyone have a new of nearly new Citroen idle valve assembly for sale - please pm me or phone 07557278902 and leave me a message. Much loved car that I have had since 1995 just come out of mechanical restoration - only problem is idle not always working correctly and I have not been able to locate proper replacement parts. Can you help please ? Cheers Pete Crane.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: wanted new or as new idle valve assembly for my 1990 BX

Post by Vanny »

Hi Pete

Google/Ebay 'Mi16 idle'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plenty of no name ones about, but these do seem a little expensive.

If you can get the Bosch part number i think they can still be bought new
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I bet it's not the idle valve.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

I would agree with Richard.

Euro Car Parts or GSF sell the idle speed control valve, or auxiliary air valve or slide as the box will say.

I would check other things before shelling out £90.

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
Pete Crane

Post by Pete Crane »

Hi Mike, Vanny and Kitch,

Just wanted to say thank you for your advice and thoughts - the link was really useful and I have asked my factory Citroen BX trained garage owning friend to check out the link.

I actually own 2 16v - my on the road white one and a black one which was given to the garage now looking after my car (Mark at Campbells of Southport). The problem is that when I start my car it immediately idles at 3500 and takes ages to come down to around 1500 - I have around 500 miles on it since the rebuild and it is getting better - the tickover is working correctly by the time I finish my journey - a steady 1000 rpm. I do remember that even when this car was my daily driver back in the late nineties it often had this problem of a too fast tick over if I had not used the car for a while.

Mark has done a great job with the car (especially considering how little money I have paid him) and seems to know his stuff - he says that my problem is the idle valve and that he cannot get a new one, we have tried the one in the black car and it seemed even worse - hence my request on your forum.

I will keep you posted on progress - perhaps I just need to use it more and then the problem goes away !!

Cheers,

Pete
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

What happens if you put the suspect valve on the working car? does this mess up the idle?

Your name is familiar- have we met before?

cheers,

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Pete Crane

Post by Pete Crane »

Hi Mike,

We rebuilt one good engine out of the best bits of the 2 cars I now have - so we have tried both idle valves but my own one was best apparently ! I have now down around a thousand miles (my car is for daily use as our family car) and the idle is much much better - but Mark who restored the car tells me that he has now located and bought a new idle valve for me so I will let you know if this does solve the problem for good. I came down from the North West in my car with my lovely wife Wendy to a BX meet a few years ago down South somewhere - I think it might have been about a 'rolling road' session - there were around 5 or 6 16valvers there. We all went for a little run (it was fascinating to follow another 16v - they go down the road in such a different way to mere 'normal' cars) - and then we ended up having a nice lunch at a pub somewhere. I think that we may have ended up chatting for quite a while over the pub lunch but full marks to you for remembering this - apart from car stuff my memory is really bad these days !! My VX220 is now 10 years old and I reckon that this meeting must have been just before I got the VX220. At the time I could not afford to insure both the VX220 and my BX as daily drivers so I put the BX in storage even though it was running fine. At one time I actually 'sold' my BX to a car dealer in my village for £300 but he never came up with the cash so I ended up bringing it back and decided then that I would never part with it.

I love owning and driving my BX - everything is just right for me.

Would welcome your help on tracking down and stopping as many rattles as possible...the only thing Wendy and me miss from the new Mercedes C class that we have been running until the BX came back is the total lack of rattles - apart from that we both prefer the BX for everything else - especially the howl of the engine chasing the red line.

I am semi retired now - but when I am offered work I have to go at short notice - but work permitting hopefully we can chat again at the Citroen national rally on July 18th if you are there on the Friday.

Cheers,

Pete
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi Pete,

Yes I met you & Wendy at the Northampton Motorsport rolling road day and at the pub afterwards.
Rob from East London was there, and several others from this forum.
You already had the VX220 then.

My BX has not many rattles, but interior bits do creak. I think the old plastic (that will be most of the car then) has lost its flexibility.

It's always been a noisy car anyway.

Mines on SORN at the moment, but I intend to MOT it again soon.

It will be attending Phil Chidlow's 3rd run around France next year. It completed the 1st two despite much rough treatment.

I don't know If I will be at the National in July yet.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!