OK, so theoretical value of a BX.

Anything about BXs
Stinkwheel
1K Away

OK, so theoretical value of a BX.

Post by Stinkwheel »

Hi Folks,

Charlotte and I are thinking of selling the Olympic Blue 19TRS auto. For those that do not know it then i can tell you its a 54,000 mile car from new with a good bit of history.

Its about to have a new 12 months MOT and is taxed also.

Its not a show car, rather a well cared for 'survivor' with a few niggles and paint chips etc as any car thats been used has.

Whats it really worth when it comes to advertising it for sale?
Im not looking to wildly profiteer, just a fair price that will see it safely re-homed with a caring owner.

Any thoughts welcome :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: OK, so theoretical value of a BX.

Post by Dollywobbler »

Tricky one. It's the best colour, great miles, but not entirely perfect (if not that far from it really) and not a desirable engine/gearbox combo (apart from the fact that I'd love it. My tastes are rarely widely shared).

I think any really tidy, low mileage BX has the potential to reach a grand, but the thirstier engine may make £800 more realistic. Very hard though, as the BX market is moving more than it has done for years. I do think you need stronger photos of it. Good photos really sell a nice car.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Dollywobbler wrote:Tricky one. It's the best colour, great miles, but not entirely perfect (if not that far from it really) and not a desirable engine/gearbox combo (apart from the fact that I'd love it. My tastes are rarely widely shared).

I think any really tidy, low mileage BX has the potential to reach a grand, but the thirstier engine may make £800 more realistic. Very hard though, as the BX market is moving more than it has done for years. I do think you need stronger photos of it. Good photos really sell a nice car.

Thanks for your input Ian,

Yep i agree better pictures, these above are just stuck up quick for an opinion. When it comes to actually selling then i shall take a full new crop of decent pics.

Id hope for closer to a grand ideally with what some similar mileage cars are at recently but who really knows until tried on the market i suppose.
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Depends how quickly you want to sell. If you're in no rush, then holding out for stronger money isn't an issue. I can see it being a car that might take a while to find the right buyer (unless I magically find a grand from somewhere!).
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Dollywobbler wrote:Depends how quickly you want to sell. If you're in no rush, then holding out for stronger money isn't an issue. I can see it being a car that might take a while to find the right buyer (unless I magically find a grand from somewhere!).

If you really fancied it mate then PM me and we can talk ;)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

If that was in a dealer, as some have been of late i would guess a price tag £1295 or somewhere thereabouts, if it were mine i would chance it @ £995 a very nice example.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Round about a grand sounds fair to me - it it were mine, I'd chance my arm at £1100 and think about offers of 800 up. I'd meticulously valet it, paint the sills and wheel rims (the trouble with those trims is you can see the scabby rims) then clean and polish it - inside and out - to within an inch of its life. Last but not least, I'd slick the tyres with some dressing. We all know - rationally - that cosmetics counts for bugger all really, but psychologically and emotionally, when buying a car, it counts for a lot. Lastly, I'd whip out to some local beauty spot in the sunshine and take some decent pics - it's a top car and worth top money - good luck!
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Ooh it's that colour again! I think it is without doubt the best colour for a Bx.

If it's any help I paid £550 for G818XPO a few weeks back and it was looking tired with lots of dings and scrapes but with long mot and tax. It is a good driver though and I brought it back from Bristol to Wednesbury without issue. There is quite a list I'm working through to bring it upto spec where as yours looks more or less ready to go so yes I think a grand should be do-able.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thanks to all for there comments, very helpful :)

I shall have to give her a good bit of TLC and get some really proper pics sorted :)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Paul296 wrote: We all know - rationally - that cosmetics counts for bugger all really, but psychologically and emotionally, when buying a car, it counts for a lot.
Trade quip, 'Bullshit baffles brains'. Be that verbal or from elbow grease. Most people have no idea what to look at on a car and ask the normal numbty questions no matter what the car is. My fav is on selling a totally restored car. 'How many miles has it done?' Roger Irrelevant lives. You would think with classics the interested would be more informed. % is better but still most have no idea. So a scruffy family low miler in regular use will be passed up for a shiny clunker of dubious heritage, possible from Luton or other L led metropolis.

As to the question, I cannot answer as I remain not informed enough. What I do know is that part of the pressure on pricing is coming from the fact a lot of hands on people are realizing that once your into cats, ECU, and gizmos for the sake of it, you are unable to home maintain on a budget. BX and their ilk are the last cars to offer a safe haven for the initiated. The BX thus might not be collectible, save for special models, but will find a niche with the practical owners, slightly undermined by the free tax rolling forward. I would think anything with an MOT that drives has a base value as transport. If I had the space I would soak up the scrappers, as in time, they will be a profitable resource. Indeed I am surprised that quite good cars are still being scrapped, but of course its as much about resources of the owners and we are all being stretched by the reduced economic worth of most individuals. I would argue that is all the more reason to keep these cars going, than uprate to something you cannot control the price off, so well. So its the premium on top of the base price for a better car, isn't it?
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Bring it to the X rally with a priceboard Mat!, failing that car and classic, I think you should get £800-1000, ok being a 1.9 petrol auto will put all the diesel lovers off but its classic territory now so running it on recylced chip fat wont be all important to everyone.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Tim Leech wrote:Bring it to the X rally with a priceboard Mat!, failing that car and classic, I think you should get £800-1000, ok being a 1.9 petrol auto will put all the diesel lovers off but its classic territory now so running it on recylced chip fat wont be all important to everyone.

Might be a plan that Tim :)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Vantman
BXpert

Post by Vantman »

Unfortunately a limited market car. It took me 5 months to sell my 52000 mile TZi auto. I believe i started the price at £850 and ended up selling it for £500! The tax was nearly out when i sold it but it did have 7months MOT left and had loads of history and receipts,plus a new octopus etc.. But it was red!!
Superb car to drive and i would have another.
This was my car--http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18833
2003 Saab 9-3.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'm still gutted I was never in a position to buy that car Brian. It looked lovely. Now I'm not in a position to buy this one!
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

Matt I think Paul makes some excellent points about the sills and rims - not difficult to do and would give it a freshen up. Problem is I know as soon as we start fiddling with it on a sunny day at the workshop we'll want to keep him! Any new owner would also have to take into consideration that fact he is gay - the ashtray must remain forever unused, George Michael MUST be on the playlist regularly and expect him to run better when he's clean. He doesn't like dirt. Many people think I'm joking but it's true!
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo