Wanted S.A.D supplementary air device for a gti 8v

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Wanted S.A.D supplementary air device for a gti 8v

Post by rutter123 »

As above, the S.A.D is basically a choke valve which controls the amount of air entering the inlet manifold under cold start conditions, is controlled by a 12v signal from the ECU, which heats a bi-metal strip which in turn slowly closes the aperture in the valve as the engine reaches temp, as you can see mine is stuck in this position and does not open or close, a common prob on pug 205's causing idling probs and low rpm hesitation and lean mixture, it is a Bosch unit pt no 0280140183 or same as a 205gti pt no 0280140182.

The unit is located just under the dizzy, there is the housing for the water temp sensor and underneath that the S.A.D.

A known good s/h one would be mostly appreciated. cash waiting.
Attachments
005.jpg
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Wanted S.A.D supplementary air device for a gti 8v

Post by rutter123 »

Not had a lot of joy locating another so decided to take the old one apart, it is a sealed unit but carefully cut away the pressed over rim and filed the heads of the four rivets away and it comes apart, inside is a small heater coil power by 12v signal from the ecu, this should heat a bi-metal strip which presses against a cam on a quadrant with a window in it, this window under cold start conditions should be fully open letting more air into the inlet manifold tricking the ecu to richen up the mixture, with the engine running the coil will heat and the bi-metal will push on the cam and slowly close the window, the window is kept closed by the heat generated from the water temp sensor housing and the heat in the engine bay, i guess over time the bi-metal looses some of it bendyness, so took that out and carefully put some curve to it, reassembled and checked it worked several times making a few adjustments before gluing the bodies together with araldite, then testing it again. now back on the car its working fine but the cold idle speed is a little high @ 1500rpm?? settling to 900 once warm.

This will also cause a lean mixture at low rpm, hesitation, and idling probs from too much unmeasured air entering the manifold. i hope this info is correct and helps someone else out.

This is from a Bosch Jetronic LE3 system. not sure if the same is fitted to the Motronic. I believe pug 205gti's suffered probs with the same device.
Attachments
and closed once warmed up, i put a 12v supply and applied extra heat warming the body up after 5mins the window has closed.
and closed once warmed up, i put a 12v supply and applied extra heat warming the body up after 5mins the window has closed.
the window should be open when cold
the window should be open when cold
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability