Rear Subframe mounting brackets

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Mothman

Rear Subframe mounting brackets

Post by Mothman »

I know this is a forlorn hope but does anyone have the largish L shapled rear subframe mounting brackets that are spot welded to the underside of the bodyshell?
The ones one my n/a diesel estate are shot and if none can be sourced she will have to be scrapped which is a terrible shame as she is a very good drive otherwise.
Its the sort of thing that would have to be cut off a bodyshell. I have a scrap bodyshell but these are also too far gone.
Its going to be a terrible shame but its the only way to save the old girl.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Rear Subframe mounting brackets

Post by citsncycles »

How big a rush are you in for them?

I ask because I've almost certainly got to fabricate some for Fred, and I have some work to do in that area for Timex, but I'm busy getting Visal Diesel fixed up to use while Timex is being sorted, so it may be a couple of months before I get that far.

Unfortunately, the cars I know of being scrapped round here are shot in the same areas, although I'll ask to double check these brackets.

Alternatively, how bad is too far gone? They may be something I could repair if you cut them off and posted them to me.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Mothman wrote:I know this is a forlorn hope but does anyone have the largish L shaped rear subframe mounting brackets that are spot welded to the underside of the bodyshell?
The ones one my n/a diesel estate are shot and if none can be sourced she will have to be scrapped which is a terrible shame as she is a very good drive otherwise.
Its the sort of thing that would have to be cut off a bodyshell. I have a scrap bodyshell but these are also too far gone.
Its going to be a terrible shame but its the only way to save the old girl.

Andy
Hi Andy,
I'm having a bit of trouble in deciphering your 'Sub-frame Mounting Bracket' description which 'You State' is spot welded to the body-shell as there's no such bracket that's actually 'Spot Welded' to the body-shell, however possibly its the 'Reinforcement Plate' your referring to :?

Now if its the front Aluminium mounting bracket (With the Rubber Insert which could be fubered) , there just bolted to the bodywork (Just flick the rear seat base up) and then remove the plastic inner sill panel covers both sides just adjacent to where the base of the rear seats fit near to the base of the 'C' posts !

Once access is gained you will see two 'Ny-loc' nuts either side which fastens the Aluminium bracket thro' to the bodywork, the other fastener between the Front bracket and the sub-frame is the Horizontal bolt & nut !

Then the only other connection for the sub-frame to the bodywork is the rear 'Sandwich' type mounting bracket !

See the image below (Which I've taken from 'Des Smith's St.Tropez' rebuild blog) 8)

Jaba's TZD Estate bodywork failed from corrosion adjacent to the Aluminium mounting bracket but the actual bracket was still in-tack (Just), LINK to thread :shock:

Also note, to spray some penetrating oil on the stud/bolts which are made from Steel (and are an integral part of the Aluminium casting/assy.) and which CAN snap off flush with the Aluminium Bracket face, if you were thinking of just replacing the rubber bush/insert, I'm not sure if these are available separately (Maybe Malcolm could confirm) ?

Good luck with sourcing a replacement !

:)

Last edited by RxBX on Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I thought that Andy was referring to the sections that run up the inner sill to the subframe mounting points that failed on Jaba's car above - they are sort of L shaped and do rot. No doubt Andy will be along shortly so put us right :wink:
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Surely it's easy enough to fabricate some of these?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

It is the L shaped bits that ime sure could be fabricated but ime not sure i could do it. She is with Malcolm at the moment, not sure he could do that but ile ask.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It is if you have the tools and the confidence to do so. As I said, I think I have some of these to make myself. Ideally I'd try to remove the part in question, clean it up, replace any weakened areas with new metal then refit after carrying out any repairs to what it was attached to.

If I had to make from new, rather than try to duplicate exactly this part, which from memory has some pressings in it for strength, I'd make up a flat L shape and weld some box or bar to it in order to gain the same amount of strength back.

I believe Kitch may have some similar work to do on his GT.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

This is whats gone and i am hoping that a mate will be able to make up a similat plate.

Andy

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

They could be fabricated without too much issue.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

My mate reccons he can do it so fingers crossed. Wont be quite the same but hey, whos looking!!

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Yep, as Kitch says definately doable, in fact now you've posted the pic up and I can get a good look without a sub frame in the way, I'm more confident than I was before.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hopefully now sorted, Rob Moss has a set. Result!!

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

these reenforcing plates/brackets are quite heavy gauge metal, possibly around 1/8inch thick before the tin worm got stuck in that is

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)