but not all the time( most times) don't use the car a lot at the moment,
would it be the idle control valve where do I look any advise on this
:? :? ^^bx> 16v
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Re: High revs

Post by RobC »

This happens to me periodically too. I think it could indeed be a sticky ICV, or perhaps a faulty throttle position switch.

The ICV is located on top of the inlet manifold. It has a two-pin connector. Try removing it, giving it a swish out with carb cleaner, then once it's dry squirting some silicon lube in there.

The TPS is on the throttle butterfly housing. Make sure that at idle the switch is engaging. With the engine off you should hear a little click from it when you manually open the throttle. If not, it may need adjustment.

Other things to investigate are air leaks in the pipes around the inlet manifold.

hth
1991 Citroen BX 16v
greendale65
BXpert

Re: High revs

Post by greendale65 »

RobC wrote:This happens to me periodically too. I think it could indeed be a sticky ICV, or perhaps a faulty throttle position switch.

The ICV is located on top of the inlet manifold. It has a two-pin connector. Try removing it, giving it a swish out with carb cleaner, then once it's dry squirting some silicon lube in there.

The TPS is on the throttle butterfly housing. Make sure that at idle the switch is engaging. With the engine off you should hear a little click from it when you manually open the throttle. If not, it may need adjustment.

Other things to investigate are air leaks in the pipes around the inlet manifold.

hth
Ok, Will look but still cant get my head around it at the mo need to
sort out as mot coming up and going on holiday in august.
Thanks for tips. Alan 8) 8) ^^bx> 16v