Is 6.5 Year old LHM Total Plus safe to use....?

BX Tech talk
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Is 6.5 Year old LHM Total Plus safe to use....?

Post by Daniel B »

Guys,
I have a few bottles of this lurking around, 2 of which are unopened.

I can see my LHM needs a tad of a top up - is it safe to use this, or am I better to ditch and buy fresh new stuff?

Dan
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I don't think there's any best before date on the bottle so the manufacturers don't think there's a problem. I'd say if it looks the right colour etc then it's OK.

I think the stuff suffers form continual mashing up, contamination form dirt in the system and metal filings, degenerating seals and pipes and the atmosphere - probably by oxidation and absorbtion of moisture. I think a sealed container would render the last 2 insignificant.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

If in doubt,it should be OK to fry your sausages in :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
M

Post by M »

Now correct me if Im wrong, but unlike conventional DOT4, LHM does not soak up moisture, so a couple of tins sat in storage for a few years, so long as clean should be OK to use for topping up.
On the other hand if you have a diesel, just bung it in the tank and use it for fuel.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Hey Dan how about posting a full size picture of your car.The bit I can see in your avatar looks good :)
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks for the replies all :-)

Seems safe to use then, I might bin the one half empty one and just use the 2 unopened ones.

Barnsley BXer - I'm trying to find a picture that is hosted somewhere, and haven't found any as yet........!

The 16V site is under reconstruction and there was one on there, I'll see what I can find - she's not bad, a little bit untidy, but then she is 14.5 years old nearly!

But she is dearly loved :D

Dan
M

Post by M »

Daniel B wrote:Thanks for the replies all :-)

Seems safe to use then, I might bin the one half empty one and just use the 2 unopened ones.
Dan
Or get a diesel & empty it in the tank :twisted: