Diesel Saloon Fuel Tank Leak

BX Tech talk
themildbunch
BXpert

Diesel Saloon Fuel Tank Leak

Post by themildbunch »

Just noticed diesel pouring out from the nearside rear of my BX this morning when on a camber - Very hard to see where it's coming from up there but the feed and return pipes to the tank are dry. When parked on flat ground or leaning towards the offside it doesn't leak! The likely culprit looks like the 'tank degassing tube' (32) on the image below:

Does it look like I'll have to drop the tank for this or can it be got too from underneath?
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Diesel Saloon Fuel Tank Leak

Post by citronut »

i have not done these pipes before, but i think you will need to lower the tank as i can see there being any other access to this pipe

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If you have the auxiliary fuel tank, there is a large bore connecting pipe below. I did experience the top part of this pipe slipping off the plastic connector. Repair was as simple as loosening the clip, popping it fully back on and retightening the clip. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Way2go wrote:If you have the auxiliary fuel tank, there is a large bore connecting pipe below. I did experience the top part of this pipe slipping off the plastic connector. Repair was as simple as loosening the clip, popping it fully back on and retightening the clip. :D
I wish it was that pipe but sadly the leak does seem to be from the breather on the nearside of the tank... The car had sat for some months until recently with little fuel so I suspect this hadn't helped an already old pipe.. It might be possible to semi lower the tank without removing the exhaust / height corrector linkage to get to it... Nasty job without a ramp really!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

When i replaced a new tank on mine, i forgot to connect the breather and i had to lower it for doing this job. I couldn't reach the breather and connect to the rubber tube because it always slipped.

If you find that the leak is in the tank region, is a little laborous, but it's still better lowering the exhaust (don't need to remove it, hang it with wires in the body like 30 cm from the tank), uncoupling the rear linkage (From RHC and that plastic part on body) and finally lowering the tank.
It takes some minutes, but you gain some space to work. Take advantage of this and inspect the whole tank and connections. I don't know if exist some differences between LHD and RHD, as mine is the left hand one. With ramps is far better - I done this using two jackstands. Breather pipe is plastic made, look if it have some cracks. When i conected it, i used clamps at the connections for more reliability.

Hope that helps ;)
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???