LHM working temperature

BX Tech talk
Slagtrooper
BXpert

LHM working temperature

Post by Slagtrooper »

I was thinking when doing my full octopus overhaul with PU hoses and quick fitting connectors, like that famous photo of the Aussiefrogs' Xantia rebuild: LHM works with high pressure, so, it can get real hot.

I know the oil can stand something like 100º C, but what's the main temperature of this oil when it is collected by the returns?

Because the quick connectors specs say that it can support temperatures between 0º and 60º C. I think, anything above that could damage the part, like cracking, melting or something like that. Standard temperature here in seaside is 22ºC and in summer always above 30º C, that's why i want to know that.
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
mat_fenwick

Re: LHM working temperature

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've never measured it, but would be confident the connectors will be fine. The strut and hub assembly is a huge heatsink compared to the volume of LHM, so doubt it would ever get even appreciably warm when it passes into the return pipes. I would just take care that your new return system is well away from the exhaust, and I'm sure you'll be OK.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Re: LHM working temperature

Post by Slagtrooper »

Thank you, Mat!

Yes, the exhaust is another thing that needs attention. Doing more research i found that nylon hoses can be used too - Not as flexible as the PU one, but is a matter of installing without doing sharp curves. It can stand some high temperatures well.

"Octopussies" are freaking expensive here and need waiting indefinitely for the order...Of course if it was more acessible to me, i'd use the OEM hoses for the sake of originality, for sure. Looks fragile, but endures like 10 years...Judging that way, the OEM part is pretty good, if only it was cheaper.
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???