Mysterious Water Leak

BX Tech talk
David
BXpert

Mysterious Water Leak

Post by David »

Hi all. After putting my BX back together again, I have come across another potential problem... It appears to be losing water out of the radiator.

Admittedly this isn't the first time I've noticed it, I previously thought it might be air in the system, but after giving it a good run & getting it hot, water still seems to be disappearing in to thin air.

I have had a good look around it & can't see anywhere it could be going to. The head gasket was replaced when I put the 4x4 system on it (due to an external oil leak) & it doesn't appear to be getting water in the oil, I've changed the heater matrix & tap, (which are known good ones), I've checked the hoses & replaced some that were cracked, & I've even replaced the water pump but its still the same.

Anyone any ideas what it could be?
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
themildbunch
BXpert

Re: Mysterious Water Leak

Post by themildbunch »

I've had to replace many older hoses on both my diesel BX's.. The N/A's cooling system tends to need topping up over a while after refilling as it gradually purges the air... I've found the TD easier to bleed but they can both suffer from gradual coolant losses which are hard to see.. I have the red coolant in a high concentration and this makes it easier to spot a weeping hose.

On my N/A BX the small 3" long hose under the thermostat housing was leaking but only when gradually cooling down, dripping coolant onto the top of the gearbox..

I've also found the quality of hose clip can make a big difference. I always use genuine Jubilee clips and these seem to hold much better. Another good trick is to smear the hose connections with silicone before refitting the hoses. This really helps on older alloys housings where they can corrode and the mating surface becomes rough helping leaks!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Thanks for the reply.

The 3" hoses are 2 of which that have been replaced because they were cracked (one at the side & one behind).

I will try the silicone trick on them (or the ones I can get at) & go from there then.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Personally I have found Jubilee clips quite problematic as they are not absolutely circular. They are fine for the large OD hoses but not the smaller OD.

This really shows up most on pressurised systems as the hose stays in place but can squirt from the non-circularity points.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

David wrote:Hi all. After putting my BX back together again, I have come across another potential problem... It appears to be losing water out of the radiator.

Anyone any ideas what it could be?
Could be a small pinhole in the rad itself. I have had this with a known good radiator ie new Serck replacement and it always had ultra clean anti freeze/distilled 50/50 mix in it. The engine waterways were known to be clean and hoses in good condition.

Quite tricky to spot as when warm, the coolant evaporates on the finning, and does not always leave a tell tale stain!. Best way I found to find it was look very hard after a short run in dry weather, to see any water at all, in my case a minute trace on the engine side (back) of the rad itself. I suspect a small stone thrown up by other trafic did the damage. Even salt grit has stones with enough mass to pierce the matrix especially if you are overtaking a gritter.... :wink:
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Another good trick is to smear the hose connections with silicone before refitting the hoses.
Always use silicone rubber - but not too much so avoiding putting it into the waterways !

A thin smear on mating surfaces even if they are gasketed works well also except for head and exhaust.Silicone rubber is normally good up to 300 C. Use normal acetoxy cure stuff unless it's near electrics in which case use neutral cure. And if you're doing some plumbing using comression joints - a thin smear over the olive and arround the thread - again try to avoid getting it into the waterway itself.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Stand the car overnite after a good run, place some clean cardboard under the engine bay this may give some indication where your leak is, i have had pattern water pumps leak on the shaft after 20k, also always fit 2 gaskets on the pump to be doubly sure, old hoses can be suspect worth checking things like rad switch, coolant level switch etc and of course get yr rad pressure tested and look for signs of corrosion along the bottom of the rad. I had a similar prob years ago and a new rad cap cured the prob.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Tinkley wrote: Could be a small pinhole in the rad itself.

Quite tricky to spot as when warm, the coolant evaporates on the finning, and does not always leave a tell tale stain!.
Seconded; small leaks on rads can be very hard to spot as they sometimes only leak when under maximum pressure accelerating etc. then evaporate before you have lifted the bonnet. look out for steam on the rad.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

When I replaced the water pump I put silicone around both sides of the gasket, so that shouldn't be leaking.

I pulled the radiator out yesterday, had a look around it & it looks OK, So I washed it out, pulled all the accessible pipes off the front of the engine, put silicone around them & reassembled it. While the radiator was out I put some PTFE plumbers tape around the fan switch, some silicone around the low water level warning switch & some silicone around the rubber plug at the bottom of the radiator.

I then reassembled it all putting silicone around the radiator pipes.

I think 3 of the unions were leaking, the top radiator hose; both sides & The small pipe going from the thermostat to the oil cooler on the thermostat side.

I also replaced the cap with the one off Mulley's cars' radiator.

I have yet to fill it up & try it, but hopefully the silicone has sorted it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Did you pressure test the rad? Thats the only way to tell if its leaking.

Andy
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Have you got an oil cooler? They can leak internally giving HGF symptoms.

You really need to pressure test the cooling system though by the sounds of it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't have the radiator pressure tested because I believe I had located the problem & it didn't look damaged, Although if it still gives problems I will ether have it checked or get a new radiator.

The car does have a oil cooler. I don't think there is anything wrong with the cooler or head gasket, I just said it had been replaced because I have read that water can be lost through a leaking head gasket.

I can't tell yet if is still losing water or not. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the suggestions & help.