Introducing me and my BX

Anything about BXs
AndyG

Introducing me and my BX

Post by AndyG »

Just found this forum by accident of Friday so I thought Id join up as ive just inherited my dads old Bx . First the dull bit (about me!) im not what you would call a typical Bx fan though through my dad I have experienced his PSA cars now for 25 years! At the start they were mainly small Peugeots ,104,s 205Diesels all run for very high milages but in 1984 he experienced his first Citroen , a Cx (his bosses) and he fell in love with the ride of the car ,so in 87 he bought his first Bx a 17rd which he loved . He owned this till 1991 during which time he modified it, alloys extra driving lights rear spoiler (wooden.! he was a golf club maker and though its sounds corny now looked identical to the factory one) in 1991 he made the worst car buying decision ever! he bought a Peugeot 405 GRx4 , great car when not being fixed at Melvins in Glasgow! (spent£1000s on new transmissions..TWICE) so in 94 he went back to his beloved Bx and bought a 1 year old TZD turbo hatch for £9000 from Mossgiel Citroen in Ayr . This was intended to be his retirement car so it wouldent be getting a high milage on it like the rest of his cars.Well over the years if it needed getting fixed it went to Mossgiel/Flemmings (as it became )and oil changes every 3000 miles with normal Castrol GTX ( i know its not the right grade for the XUD diesel but a "mechanic" at Peugeot told him that if he used it and did regular oil changes it would run sweet , and to be honest every one of his Peugeot /Citroen cars treated this way has had no problems .Now the downturn in the story. Back when the new C5 came out he thinks about trading up to one of the last Zantia estates and goes back to Flemmings to trade it in on anHdi Zantia. Later that day he visits me and my wife in a total rage.... they offered him £200 on a delivery milage Zantia . so he runs it for a couple more years untill last year when I get fed up with my company Toyota Surf diesel and buy myself a 99 Mundaneo(sorry for swearing!)to cut a long story short :roll: he buys a 2000 Mundaneo Zetec and tries to sell the Bx. All we get coming are nutters , or guys wanting the engine ,so as he doesent need the money and will not break it apart for spares he Sorns it and lays it up. this was last August and last week he tells me that its now mine :D You see guys this is my problem im not a typical Citroen nut , but this Bx is well special to me , It was the first car i ever experienced turbo lag in :wink: and the first i ever went over 120 mph in(sorry moderators) also wherever it goes the respect it gets is well .... strange im used to selling mad import cars for a living but whenever I took the Bx in every body stopped staring at the GTOs and Skylines and looked at the Bx, so in closing (sorry for the extremly long rant!) over the next few months im going to get it back on the road , I think its just silly things as is has been started everyday and occasionaly (once a fortnight ) taken out on trade plates ( I know not strictly legal but it stopped thing going bad.Hopefully I have not bored everybody to death yeT , yours AndyG
Brought to you by the miracle of LHM!
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

TZD Turbo

Post by pindimar »

Well, I bet you'll enjoy driving this car a lot, on a regular basis.

... wondering though, ....what is a typical Citroen fan? A look at the postings on this site may indicate that there's no really typical Citroen fan, it seems to me.

Pretty diverse bunch, from what I can see!

Greg (Pindimar)
M

Post by M »

Welcome aboard - now what your BX really needs is a nice window sticker saying you belong to the BXClub (see stickers post).

And for the truly twisted get a "Citroen BX - Britains Number One Diesel" banner made up (see Mr B come & see what I have got)

Enjoy. :D
Last edited by M on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Andy g

I fell for Cits after my dad's CX estate which he bought to ship the family down to Spain in 1986. I fell for the levitation and the dash layout, but at a subconscious level. It wasn't until after a year of driving a BX that I realised how it had all started.

So your story isn't so untypical.

Fix it up, drive it and enjoy it, they're great cars. As Tom Sheppard said when I got my red TZD "Well, it's a style icon!"

Oscar
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Welcome Andy :D
AndyG

Post by AndyG »

Thanks for the encouragement guys :) Hopefully its just small things for the mot , bodywise its only got some rust on the bottoms of the passenger side doors and front wing, but they were replaced after an accident about 8 years ago, and just before it was "laid up" it was treated to new struts and spheres so hopefully I might get away with them as they are.What it does need is the sunroof fixing only goes up and down ,does not retract,and the alloys ive never seen them on any other Bx or Citroen , they are Speedlines 5,1/2 x14 and look like 205 gti 1.9 alloys but the holes are rounded triangular shaped not round oh and now very corroded so they will need re-furbing. Are they a rare type? Also since the day my dad bought it its economy has never been great best ever was about 42 mpg but never below 35mpg but the trade of has been (to me anyway) truly amazing performance ,both top end speed and through the gear performance(It could eat my mates Zantia turbo diesel for breakfast and it had the same basic engine) is this normal?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Yes it is normal for BX TD to feel quicker than the Xantia TD - the principal reason is that the Xantia weighs 25% more. I think the Xantia has a higher top speed.

Jeremy
AndyG

Post by AndyG »

Thanks for the reply Jeremy,but my Bx,s top end feels stronger than my mondeo(1.8 petrol) and I wouldent say its no slouch itself but the Bx just keeps going,the only other car I have felt this kind of top end urge was some of the mad Jap imports I sold , but they had much more power and torque.But the satisfaction of blowing away a few boy racers with an old Citroen is priceless :D
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Hi there!

Post by Calfskin »

Actually, I should have introduced myself too!

I'm new here too and have only just got bit by the BX bug. Purely by chance. I'm a Vauxhall man and have been since like forever. My last car was a 99 Astra which lets just say was a lemon. I was looking to replace it with a Cavalier diesel to run around in as I do astronomical mileage.

The plan was to buy a £500 banger and run it into the ground. However, my dad was looking in the local Autotrader back in May and lo and behold, there was a pinky Citroen ZX 1.9D which looked nacred in Motherwell (the otherside of the country practically) but by chance below it was a small ad for a newer BX 19TXD in a redish colour. It was nearer and appeared to be owned by an enthusiast. It was a very honest and clean car that had done 123,000. I took it for a test drive and I didn't fall for it. The clutch was very heavy and the brake pedal had little feel and the gearbox was weird compared the GM ones I was used to. However, I thought about it. It had everything I needed and was a PSA unit in it so it was going to be cheap and I bought it for £400. The guy then plumped £200 worth of parts in the boot as I dealt with the paperwork and I drove home.

A week later I went to Kwik-Fit to replace the front tyres with Michelins which they didn't have :? so Continentals had to do and some idiot in an Avensis reveresed down the drivers flank. Poor Rene, he looked a state. The bodyshop said they were going to write it off but in a fit of craziness I said no, repair it. And 8k miles later, I love my car and have no desire to go back to the Griffin. In fact, I'm contemplating buying a GTi next if the missus lets me!

I found this site while looking for info on the BX and haven't looked back.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
He was the best car I ever owned.