they just get better

Anything about BXs
B-Hive
BXpert

they just get better

Post by B-Hive »

Ok call me cheap, or a victim of false economy, but only now have I "graced" the well weathered Mk1 GT with fresher front spheres.

They are still a bit tired, and they are the smaller mk2 type, but OMG what a difference. !! The original large spheres that came with the car 5 years ago, had probably sat on the car for an additional 7 years at least..But they were "fine". Their deterioration was surprizingly rapid, to the point of being totally unacceptable.. So with great leverage, the old biggies came off to be swapped out with MK2 units that themselves were regassed over 7 years ago..

OUTCOME?...THe loveliness and joy of the driving experience has gone off the scale and, given that fresh bigger spheres are ready for the front and new ones ready for the rear, I can only imagine how it will further transform the car..

I have owned D's G's and C's and always assumed that the B's were quite a poor cousin in respect to the the hydronuematic experience..

This taste of how good the BX can be is addictive..So much so I have slowed my driving style to prolong most trips..

Thinking the B-hive will continue to grow..

I'm fitting out a 40ft bus right now and am continually needing a load lugger ..Not once has the old GT said "no"..This car has no reason to be this cost free and versatile.. Guess she is thanking me from saving her from the crusher..

Anyway all you like minded folk.. keep spruiking the BX..I'd love to say to everyone "I told you so, this is a classic"
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: they just get better

Post by Philip Chidlow »

=D> I can't keep away from 'em it would seem! :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I bought my first one in 1996, my dad has his first one in 1985, between us we have owned over 40!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Next change, try 'comfort' spheres, they will improve your drive even more.

Andy
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Tim Leech wrote:I bought my first one in 1996, my dad has his first one in 1985, between us we have owned over 40!
I'm only at 5 Tim, but the council seconded the TRi recently, still trying to track it...

The difference tween non strut Cits and the BX is quite minimal, and once 100% sorted may be nothing, or at best be steering sharpness benefits to the B.

I own 7 other cars and the BX continues to surpass all expectations..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Mothman wrote:Next change, try 'comfort' spheres, they will improve your drive even more.

Andy
Are you referring to the larger spheres?

Also there are the 55 and 70 stamped large spheres...I'm going for the 70 large front,, and the softest available for the rear..for both the GT and TRS mk1's..

info???
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi bud,

check out the spheres available from these guys, fitted the comfort jobbies on Sophie, one of my MK 1s and my TZD and they too transformed the rides of both.

www.sphere-shop.co.uk

Andy
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Mothman wrote:Hi bud,

check out the spheres available from these guys, fitted the comfort jobbies on Sophie, one of my MK 1s and my TZD and they too transformed the rides of both.

http://www.sphere-shop.co.uk

Andy
biggest prob is that I'm a million k's from uk here at oz

support factor about the inverse of the distance..
cost to ship similar..

I'm lucky that I have a cit sphere regas club guy close..but its always just guess work
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Oh well, it was just a thought. Wish i had someone who could regas my spheres nearby. I think there used to be someone near Hastings, about 20 miles from me but stopped doing it due to lack of demand.
Ime sure i saw a regassing kit for sale on ebay not so long ago and ime sure you can still buy them from France.

Andy
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Mothman wrote:Oh well, it was just a thought. Wish i had someone who could regas my spheres nearby. I think there used to be someone near Hastings, about 20 miles from me but stopped doing it due to lack of demand.
Ime sure i saw a regassing kit for sale on ebay not so long ago and ime sure you can still buy them from France.

Andy
So swings and round abouts Andy.. Biggest issue is shaping the top port of the sphere with the 45 degree groove to allow tightening upon repressurisation.

These days I think re-gassing is an unsustainable luxury. Thankfully Australia is 20 years behind
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Mothman wrote:Oh well, it was just a thought. Wish i had someone who could regas my spheres nearby. I think there used to be someone near Hastings, about 20 miles from me but stopped doing it due to lack of demand.

Andy
I posted a link to a kit on leboncoin a few weeks back and someone else gave a link to a currently available kit - shouldn't be hard to find. WIth the amount of cars you have, it would be worth it!
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

The difference tween non strut Cits and the BX is quite minimal, and once 100% sorted may be nothing, or at best be steering sharpness benefits to the B.
Im sorry, I cannot agree with this statement.
Dont get me wrong, I love the BX, they are a truly excellent car (between charlotte and myself we own 6 currently) but a CX or GS with its double wishbone (and in the case of GS/A - true centre point steering) absolutely wee's on a BX for ride quality. Handling wise its a close run thing, with the BX being a 'stiffer' platform it does handle well.

Just my opinion you understand :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Stinkwheel wrote:
Im sorry, I cannot agree with this statement.
Dont get me wrong, I love the BX, they are a truly excellent car (between charlotte and myself we own 6 currently) but a CX or GS with its double wishbone (and in the case of GS/A - true centre point steering) absolutely wee's on a BX for ride quality. Handling wise its a close run thing, with the BX being a 'stiffer' platform it does handle well.

Just my opinion you understand :)

..that_
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

I'm liking this thread

I did a trip to a gig of about 120 miles on Friday in the 16TXS and one to following day to Cork in our Santa Fe, and I really missed how secure the BX feels on the road- the feedback from the steering, with the good supportive later gti seats makes for a really well planted sensation on the road, and the waft along.. None of those annoying jiggles of most modern cars.

Really good cruisers apart from the noise-wore my attenuator ear plugs, turn the stereo up.. Lovely!

In my experience on two BXs now, good front struts also make a real difference, along with good ball joints etc, for the waft associated with the classic Citroen ride.

I could do with a really good turbo diesel really for the higher mileage I think a really good one these days you're looking at £1500

I also got rid of my XM as I missed the fun and steering feedback
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

In my experience on two BXs now, good front struts also make a real difference, along with good ball joints etc, for the waft associated with the classic Citroen ride.
Absolutely, you've hit the nail on the head. a good BX is a very citroeny ride (especially in mk1 form) but I really suggest, if you can you sample a CX s1 or similar on the same journeys to see what the 'real' magic carpet ride is :) :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"