replacing lower engine mount on 1.9 diesel

BX Tech talk
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 estate
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

replacing lower engine mount on 1.9 diesel

Post by kernowtim »

Have got to replace mount as oil leaking from engine has softened it, as I am changing driveshaft have removed casting holding the mounting. Is it feasable to change mount without a press, thought about cutting through outer metal part to loosen and levering out in pieces then tapping new one in. Replacements not available from Citroen but Gsf have them on ebay!! Any help appreciated!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370957459369? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: replacing lower engine mount on 1.9 diesel

Post by Defender110 »

Yes, if you can knock the rubber out you can then split the blade out of the hacksaw, feed the blade through the hole and cut the outer thin steel ring. Sometimes you need to burn the rubber to release the bond but it is better if you can get away without as the fumes and smoke are deadly. Grease up the new one and refit holding a good lump of wood over the bush and slogging with a hammer trying to keep the bush going in straight to prevent it locking.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

make a note of the orientation of the cut outs in the old bush if they are still visible,
as the new one needs to go in the same line,

i have done these in situe but the edge of the new bush gets a tad chewed/damaged,

i would remove the old one then find a local garage/workshop that cat press the new one back in,

unless you have a large bench vice and a selection of bits of tube the diameter of the bush outer,

or a length of threaded bar various metal and tubes to construct a bush puller,

i have a selection of old bearing inner and outer race'ies that i use for this type of job

regards malcolm
Last edited by citronut on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

Thanks for the replies, have given this to a local garage to fit, information Citroen gave me was incorrect, as was local motor factor, bush I had was 70mm diameter, not 65mm as listed, got febi bush at £5.26, listed for bx 1.8D, 2.0hdi zantia amongst others.
This site gave me Citroen number.
http://service.citroen.com/pages/index.jsp
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

citronut wrote:make a note of the orientation of the cut outs in the old bush if they are still visible,
as the new one needs to go in the same line
This is assuming the old one was in correctly - the solid bits should be in line with the direction the engine wants to move, i.e. approximately horizontal.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Last one i did took 20 tonnes of pressure from a 50 tonne press (and my god it went with a bang). You'd think that much force would stuff the alloy housing, but it didn't (and is on the car now). Your average local garage isn't likely to have much over 10 tonne press (in my experience), so if you have the patience to do it your self, it can be worth while.

The only one I've done manually (cutting the ring as described) I found it helped to put the new bushing in the freezer over night to shrink the ring. When I tried with it warm, I just couldn't get it back in.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Yes freezing the bush and warming the housing make a massive difference.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Why would you warm the housing? Won't that just make the alloy swell and make the hole smaller, or am I missing something?
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well, the heat helps when you do valve guides - cook the head to 200 deg C (poor oven!) and drift out the guides and then tap in the new ones (cast iron or PB bronze, kept in fridge) very easily. Remember the heat is effectively allowing the atoms (and parts of) to become excited and move a little more easily.
One has to be careful with real rubber, as cold makes it expand - hence lots of coolant leaks in winter. However a lot of the polymer substitutes will behave more conventionally. Even a vernier would be able to measure it enough and a micrometer certainly would establish any movement.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Vanny wrote:Why would you warm the housing? Won't that just make the alloy swell and make the hole smaller, or am I missing something?
Not at all, heating makes the entire casting larger including the interior hole.

I haven't done it on this mounting but have on other items. From the success I have had on my Land Rover I am willing to predict that doing this on this BX mounting will allow the bush to slide in without any force.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

My ride have that problem too. You can order a special tool using a tube with outer diameter of 69mm and another with 71mm internal.

Cut these tubes with the same lenght of the engine mount. In both parts, close it with a metal plate (will be like a cup)
Drill the center, weld a nut on both, put a screw of the same measurement of the nuts welded and diameter of the mount, with a fixed nut on one end and try to press it with a spanner.
69 mm part pop out the old mount (70mm), 71mm cup holds the tool on the other side and receive the old part inside it. Then you put the new mount and press again with the 69mm part.

Done one tool of these, i still need to do that change, but stopped trying because the old mount is firmly stuck.
I will do the hacksaw tip and use the "ice technique" on the mount. Unfortunately i don't have the pics of the tool here, i'm still at work :D
In a couple of hours i post it.
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

Dropped parts into friendly local garage Wednesday afternoon and were returned next day, just got to refit with new driveshaft and clean down engine to trace oil leak which softened original bush!! At least engine and subframe won't go rusty ;-)
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Nice!

I'm encouraging myself to change the mount in this weekend
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

Wiped off some of the oily crud off the engine block and lower mounting bracket before starting reassembly but halted now as I can't find the new differential oil seal, think I put it somewhere safe so I wouldn't lose it !!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

This is on my "to do" list for the t/d along with top mount and buffers and gearbox mount, will also do the bottom wishbone bushes at same time, along with rear arm bearings, front calipers, dash lights, rocker gasket, intermediate bearing, the list goes on..
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability