ECU wanted for 1991 TZI

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
TZI
Confirmed BX'er

ECU wanted for 1991 TZI

Post by TZI »

It's a long shot but I can only ask: Bosch Number: 0261200162 ?
There are a few expensive ones on eBay (from Denmark/Germany) but a 24 year old car doesn't warrant that expense - not even a BX!
Car not sparking so the usual things eliminated (ignition amp, coil, crank position sensor) before getting out the multi-meter.
Bosch Motronic 1.3 so voltage at the injectors (and other sensors) should be just over 5 volts but now zero.
Have not checked wiring from ECU but voltage also low at CPS (0.03) and coil pin no 1 (1.7).
citronut
Over 2k

Re: ECU wanted for 1991 TZI

Post by citronut »

have you thought about getting your exiting one repaired by the likes of

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

http://www.bluestreak.co.uk/

http://www.ecu-repairs.com/

http://ecutechnologies.co.uk/

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I am 99% sure that I have one.
But I am away until mid April if you can wait that long.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

You will not usually measure a voltage at the injectors with a multimeter as it is a a high speed pulsed waveform with a duty cycle varied to suit engine status. How long since it ran? Could the injectors be gummed up as this can happen when injector cleaner additive has been used before and the car is not in regular use?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
TZI
Confirmed BX'er

Post by TZI »

Thanks Way2go. I got the Motronic 1.3 info here:
http://www.hiperformancestore.com/motronic.htm
I was measuring with ignition on and not cranking. Have done this test before and had 5.3 volts.
I have been using a strobe to test and getting no spark - most of the time. Occasionally fires up and then dies. Did have it running consistently for a while but really rough above 1500/200 rpm. There may be other issues but first I need a consistent flash of the strobe (same off the coil so not HT lead issue - and they are fairly new). Good strong battery about a year old.
Car gets regular weekend use. Problem started on damp day in winter a few days after a Christmas round robin of Bristol, Sussex, Northumberland, Scotland, Herefordshire (900 miles plus).
No start on damp foggy day so just assumed WD40 would solve but no such luck. As you know ECU is under drivers seat and dry. Car has no leaks or interior condensation issues.
I have had the top off the ECU and no obvious dry joints or fried components. 165K miles on the clock.
TZI
Confirmed BX'er

Post by TZI »

One of my post seems to have gone missing?
Thanks citronut - I will check these out tomorrow. I need to make sure that there is not something wrong that will also fry the replacement.
Thanks also Jaba. Mid April no problem as bicycle main mode of transport to and from work and have a motorbike. Please get in touch when you are back.
If any developments meantime I will post.
John
P.S. voltage at coil and ignition amplifier only 0.3 v or so below battery voltage of 12.7 so that looks ok.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

TZI wrote: P.S. voltage at coil and ignition amplifier only 0.3 v or so below battery voltage of 12.7 so that looks ok.
That unfortunately does not mean it's healthy. By my reading of the cct, pin 4 should have a permanent (Ign on) 12v on it and pin 1 will measure 12v when engine is at rest with ign on. BUT pin 1 will be SWITCHED&GROUNDED when the module is pulsed by the position sensor, thus grounding the common connection of the coil and inducing HT/Spark as the previous 12v on pin 1 was fed through the LT coil connection to common.

If testing the grounding function("amp pin 1" or easier same wire "coil common") with the engine rotating under the starter, it may be best to use a test lamp (other side to +12v & see if it flashes) rather than the meter as the coil back emf may damage the meter. (Keep hands clear too)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
TZI
Confirmed BX'er

Post by TZI »

ThanksWay2go.
I was only suggesting battery voltage at the coil was good enough.
My understanding was that battery voltage goes into the secondary windings of the coil at pin 3 and out of coil pin 2 and onto the ignition amp (pin 1) and this voltage gets cut when the car needs to fire (presumably with a signal from the ECU/CPS). Coil pin 1 was 5.3v previously and I had read that this goes to the tacho.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

maybe you need one or a set or the likes of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-NOID-LIG ... 4897.l4275

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Glad to hear you still have the car, you and I seem to be the only ones, good luck with the fix, I imagine a GTI will do but bear in mind you may have a catalyst fitted where mots GTI's didn't.

Thanks
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
TZI
Confirmed BX'er

Post by TZI »

Have sent it off to:
http://ecutechnologies.co.uk/
Hopefully salvageable but if not Jaba my only hope!
The CAT was cut out a few years ago when I hit some standing water that I didn't see until too late due to driving snow. Not sure if it was the cold water or the cranking to get it going again that did for it.
Car has 'only' done 165,000 and was running sweet until this issue.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

TZI wrote:ThanksWay2go.
I was only suggesting battery voltage at the coil was good enough.
My understanding was that battery voltage goes into the secondary windings of the coil at pin 3 and out of coil pin 2 and onto the ignition amp (pin 1) and this voltage gets cut when the car needs to fire (presumably with a signal from the ECU/CPS). Coil pin 1 was 5.3v previously and I had read that this goes to the tacho.
You are correct that the tacho is also fed from pin 1 of the ignition amp. That is because when the module "fires" to the coil it gives a negative going pulse by its grounding which is used as a 'by-product' which is useful in counting revs.
Your 5.3 volts is curious though, as that looks like there is a high resistance through the coil primary maybe or that there is leakage through the solid state switch of the ignition amp? (I can't check this on my car though as mine is M3.1 which has the wasted spark coil without distributor.)
You can check which though by disconnecting that connection at the coil. With no load the connection should read very near the +12v. If it does then either the tacho is creating a partial short or there is conduction through the ignition module in its 'off state'. Looks likely therefore that the ignition amp is your culprit and not the ecu. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
TZI
Confirmed BX'er

Post by TZI »

Thanks Way2go
It was coil pin 1 that I measured as 5.3 volts (now 1.7) and I thought that went to the tacho (I may have read that on a Peugeot site). Although if the 5.3v was ECU voltage how does that work? I have tried 3 ignition amps!
I won't be giving up the day job just yet!!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

have you got the mean of testing each component on another car, maybe what ever is wrong is killing the amp moduels

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
TZI
Confirmed BX'er

Post by TZI »

I don't think that I have killed the amp modules. When it was running, albeit badly, I swapped through the amp modules and there was no difference in performance (same with replacement coil, CPS and ignition relay). Was convinced for a while that it was an earth/wiring issue due to it being intermittent.
Away for a week now but may get chance to log in early next week. Many thanks for all the help so far...