Coolant etc.

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Coolant etc.

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi

The BX (TD) is going to be undergoing some work, and included in that, the thermostat housing is being tinkered with to allow us (well, Kermit) to fit the sensor for a temp gauge. I've got a new thermostat and seal - and even a new gasket for the housing - but think it would be a good opportunity to flush and refill the system.

What coolant is best to use and what ratio mix should I use? I understand the total capacity is 6.5 litres?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Coolant etc.

Post by Kitch »

Philip Chidlow wrote:
What coolant is best to use
http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

8)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That's expensive - and really is it necessary in an old BX? But I am intrigued...

I know the old coolant will need removing. I guess a flush would be a good idea. And then I just fill with this Evans stuff then? No water at all.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

It's expensive per L compared with coolant, but you can drain it out and use it in your next car. It will last as long as you're driving Phil :D

I'm running it in two cars at the moment. It's awesome stuff, and I'll be converting the 16v once it's on the road again. It's not necessary in any car, but it does improve any car.

In a nutshell, you drain the old coolant, run a special prep fluid through it to suck up all the remaining water, then fill it with this stuff, neat. That's it. The boiling point is 180degrees, which your engine will never get near. It could run at 120degrees through the mountains in France or wherever you're heading on the challenge, and you'd have no problem. It 'freezes' at -40degrees (though not solid, it turns to a sort of slushie). It doesn't pressurise at N.O.T. so there is no pressure on all the old rubber coolant hoses, or old head gaskets. There is no oxygen in it and no water in it, so corrosion of all the internal surfaces ceases.

There are plenty of other benefits, but it's basically a case of you get what you pay for. The stuff's already got me out of trouble once before, and I can think of two instances in the last year where if the car I was driving was running it I wouldn't have suffered a coolant related breakdown.

In fact the only downside of it is that it's initially expensive, though it pays itself off after time as you never change it.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I must say it seems to have obvious benefits. Seeing as we're taking the thermostat housing off etc. it makes sense to do it now.

How much prep fluid would I need to buy?
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I must say it seems to have obvious benefits. Seeing as we're taking the thermostat housing off etc. it makes sense to do it now.

How much prep fluid would I need to buy?
Same amount as the coolant, so if your system is 6.5L as you say (sounds about right) then buying 7L would work. 5+2 of coolant, and 5+2 of prep. You can filter the prep fluid and use it again on another car, probably 2-4 times depending how much water you get initially.

If you decide you want some, let me know......I stock it and could offer BXC discounts :lol:

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK, Richard, thanks. I am still undecided because of the expense (I see it would be around £134) as well as the fact we've decided to wait until after the Challenge (it's only 2200 miles after all) before changing the coolant. We'll lose some when doing the thermostat housing, put we'll bung ready mixed Prestone in there for now. Again, thanks for the offer!