Diesel non starting.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Diesel non starting.

Post by cavmad »

Mate`s got a Cav TD (Isuzu engine) which won`t start. Sounds very much to me like a fuel pump problem. Sorry it`s not a BX but the reason I`m asking for advice on this forum is that I wondered if the advice I got to check on any diesel engine fuel problems was this, and assumed it may apply to BX`s as well?
I was told if the main fuel line between injector pump and engine was removed at the pump end then that end could be submerged in diesel and then attempt to fire up engine. If engine started then died off after fuel had gone then that would indicitate injectore pump trouble.
Please bear in mind I heard this info quite a while back and I`ve slept and drunk since then so may have it hopelessly wrong :shock:
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Shoulda bought a Citroen
They think it's all over, it is now!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Cavmad... I think the advice you have there is only relavant to the isusu engine. If memory serves (it's been a long time since I saw a cav 1.7td), this engine has a separate lift pump, so what you do is to put a reservoir of diesel directly into the injection pump, thus making the lift pump redundant.

If the engine now runs, then the lift pump is faulty. Common problem as they are a "positive displacement" (reciprocating) pump, and the diaphragm in them can split.
this might be a signature
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks David, appreciated.
Vauxhall apologist.