BX Advice

Anything about BXs
NiallG

BX Advice

Post by NiallG »

Hello

I hope everyone is well. I'm a new member looking for some advice about my BX.

I've recently been passed down my grandmas BX, it's a 1985 BX16 TRS which has done 32,000 miles. I've recently driven it 150miles and was very pleased to find that everything worked and it was a dream to drive.

I'm looking to sell it, but it's MOT is due in 2 weeks. I'm wondering should I sell it with or without MOT? I'm expecting that some work will need to be done given its age, but given how well it ran, hopefully not too much.

Any advice would be appreciated.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Re: BX Advice

Post by jamescarruthers »

Where's the harm in spending £35 on an MOT? You might be pleasantly surprised at the result. It must have passed 11 months ago.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Why sell it? These cars are proper rare now!

It will sell much easier with a mot or at least a failure sheet so people know what to expect.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
NiallG

Post by NiallG »

Good advice, thanks.

I'm reluctantly selling it. It was kept in a garage all its life, and unfortunately I don't have a garage to keep it in, and parking is a premium around my house!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Its always worth an MOT attempt on an apparently sound car. I agree, it sounds worth keeping, as you know its history. But equally it should be of interest, even with a fail sheet, if the probs are DIY. Much on a BX is, if your reasonably handy. I would spend the money and hope to recoup a reasonable sale price, if you go through with it. You will struggle to match the comfort.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I would sort a test, a good clean and then advertise it on eBay or car and classic.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

32,000 miles, i wouldnt expect to find too much wrong, rust being the main issue, you may be pleasantly surprised, have a look at its last MOT cert to see if any advisories or failures are on it and use this as your guide as i would think its prob only done a few miles since. My 1990 gti passed with only 1 advisory so good luck with yours. Very rare only a handful of these mk1 bx's left now.a keeper?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

Yes, and it WILL sell being a Mk. 1 with low miles.

I sold my Mk. 1 with much higher miles but fantastic condition to a collector last year (with a full MOT) and is now nestled up with much more sought after Citroens.

I think mine went from a Car and Classic ad.

And echoing Tim (twice this week!): consider keeping it!
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

What I would also add is that the reason why its probably lasted so well is that its been garaged, parking it outside in all weathers is not good as BX's do like to rust away underneath where you cant see it.

If you do decide to keep it then look for a garage to store it.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:What I would also add is that the reason why its probably lasted so well is that its been garaged, parking it outside in all weathers is not good as BX's do like to rust away underneath where you cant see it.

If you do decide to keep it then look for a garage to store it.
They're not that bad with rust Tim, better than many cars from that era. The only thing is that if they do start to rust somewhere, it spreads hidden out of sight unless properly sorted out.

From what I've learned so far, high miles tends to mean rust underneath (rear rails, subframe mounts, sills etc) and low miles means more external rust, less of the hidden stuff. The mk1 TRS I've got is a mess externally, but underneath (apart from the sill ends) it's in really good shape. That car has lived outside all its life, and only just come inside.

FWIW to those without a garage, I'm of the opinion that the garage makes little difference. They rust underneath in areas where the car is used, like inner arches, areas that get jacked up incorrectly (splitting the factory underseal), the little fuel breather retainer clip in the OSR inner arch...things like that. Being parked in a garage won't stop that. In fact, the only rot I can think a garage would help is windscreen surrounds and A-pillars. The other pink/red 16v breaker I have has bad rot around the A-pillars (REALLY bad!) but underneath it's absolutely bang on. I feel bad breaking it really, but the A-pillar is so bad, and the bodywork so tired it's just not economical to put it right.
But for all other areas of rot, being outside or inside won't make a huge difference. It will make a difference, but far more noticeable would be UV damage to dash and seats, faded of paint and plastics etc. The only way to stop rot totally is never drive it and leave it parked in a dehumidified room everyday :lol:

Short version - don't let a lack of garage put you off. If you want to sell it as you're not really into it and would like the money, as others have said - MOT and Car & Classic is your best bet. The lack of MoT will put lots of people off because they're cowards :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

As all the others have said without doubt you need to get it MOT'd to realise it's true value. A good to go car with such low mileage and history (if you have it) will command top money and fly off the shelf. There will also be enthusiasts willing to take it off your hands and do the work needed (if any) for MOT but at considerably less money.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
NiallG

Post by NiallG »

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'm going to MOT it and get any work done needed, then maybe enjoy it for a while as it was fun to drive. May put it up for sale in the future, I do have its full service and MOT history, and my grandma loved it so I would want it to go to someone who appreciated it!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Pics would be nice :)
They think it's all over, it is now!
Pilau123

Post by Pilau123 »

My Farther had a 1985 16 TRS, could you put some pics up?

If you do think of selling PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.
O K310XPA, K310XPA, wherefore art thou K310XPA (Sorry for selling you so long ago, the DTR is just not same)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

NiallG wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'm going to MOT it and get any work done needed, then maybe enjoy it for a while as it was fun to drive. May put it up for sale in the future, I do have its full service and MOT history, and my grandma loved it so I would want it to go to someone who appreciated it!
Well done, enjoy it with the benefit of watching it appreciate in value unlike a modern car which will depreciate like a stone. Why be in a rush to sell it when it will go up in value not down.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.