Worth removing gearbox before scrapping?

Anything about BXs
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Worth removing gearbox before scrapping?

Post by maxgreenwood »

I have held on to my 16TZS for years in the hope i may resurrect it, but the bottom-end engine knock and blue smelly smoke seem to be condemning it. I have de-clogged oil breathers and done various things to diagnose, but it looks like the rings according to the garage. It's pretty bad. I have removed various bits and used them on my other 16TXS which has a great engine.

So anyway, it's time to scrap.. I would appreciate some thoughts on whether it is worth removing the gearbox/how hard is it/how long will it take. The 16TXS one is slightly noisier and very vocal in reverse. I had a new clutch put on this scrap car and the pedal is so light and smooth. Also a new octopus went on there, and i'm not sure i'm up to removing that either!

Max
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Worth removing gearbox before scrapping?

Post by Kitch »

Scrapping it because the engine's duff? :shock: Why don't you just fit a used engine, out of interest?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Finding one was very difficult over here - i enquired and found one up in Northern Ireland in a barn, not run for years, but it was the older version of the 16. I also don't have the time or equipment to swap - i considered getting a garage to put the good one from my 16TXS in for a while, but then i've now done a load of work to the 16TXS and it drives great.
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Is the TZS not worth much over there as a running car?

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That's a shame, could you not fit a 1.9D anyway?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

I bought it for £360 ? used it and enjoyed it for 1.5 - 2 years and had spheres, the timing belt, octopus and clutch done in that time. It was a lovely car. I was pretty gutted when the engine went, i'm usually pretty on top of oil levels/changes - but it was very low one day/it had what sounded like piston slap when cold when i got it, and then the engine developed a knocking/timing problem, so i was unlucky spending money on the mechanicals, but i learnt a lot about BXs and how to get them right in the process!. My ex-cit mechanic uncle speculated whether the gauze in the sump before the oil feed to the engine might have become blocked starving the engine of oil.

It's been sat for a few years now while i tried to figure out what to do with it. I have swapped the faulty pressure reg and FDV in my 19trs for the ones on this car, so it has those now. The 19trs still needs work doing but i am hopeful with that one. The 16TZS needs tyres (cracked), heater temp control (and reassembly), spheres all round, some dashboard trim fixing (cracked and noisy), a new engine, a new exhaust before long, and some welding holes in front wheel arches, C pillars (small) and boot floor, and fluid changes. I've already taken the HP pump off, the starter, blower and wiper motors. The car is also still uk registered. It is expensive to register them here. €720 is their lowest system default and i have paid this on a Saab and an XM, i think with proof of purchase you can get it down to €3-400.

..So no, i don't think its worth much here! Unless anyone Ire-side wants to take it off my hands?! I've been offered €65 to get it collected and scrapped. Keeping wheels, engine bits and dossuer valve. Maybe i should take the struts off too. My nice smooth Pleiades re-conned ones are now on the 16TXS.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Tim, like yourself I am not a huge fan of the diesels, although i have driven a very nice TD here which i would use for towing something small if i needed it.

An engine swap is also deeper and more time consuming than i can get really.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Ah I see your issue. I'd raid as much as possible, but thenits time consuming and I'm not sure cars are worth all the hassle!

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I do like the diesels, but prefer the petrol if given a choice.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
bxmurphy

Post by bxmurphy »

I might have an interest in it if we can arrange a time to take a look. I am in west Wicklow.
bxmurphy

Post by bxmurphy »

Hi Max.I have room to store the bx , so dont sell to scrap man.It will remain available to you for parts for sometime to come. I have an 87 19trs undergoing some resto work at the moment. Feel free to pm me if you are interested in meeting up to sort out details.