16TRS intake manifold ports

BX Tech talk
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

16TRS intake manifold ports

Post by (CZ)enda »

I am replacing single chamber carb (Weber 36TLP) for double chamber one (Weber 32/34 DRTC).
I got the proper manifold, but I am unclear about the ports on the RH side and behind the carb (orientation refers to when standing at the front of the car, looking through the windshield).
The RH one is blinded, while the one behind the carb is fitted with a drilled bolt which is not airtight.
My theory is that these may be a heritage of "Econoscope" or whatever was the word used for a simple manifold vacuum gauge used for displaying momentary load/consumption.
AFAIK the gauge was only fitted to certain versions of Mk1 BXs.
I do not have/fancy any such device, so the question is - should all ports below the carb be airtight to prevent mixture weakening?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I've never seen the manifold in question - BUT as a general principle there should not be any entrance of air between the throttle and the engine - as the manifold vacuum is critical to the proper functioning of the carburettor.

The fittings you might find are brake servo - draws air at idle or on the overrun - but not much, and sometimes a vent pipe but these are usually quite large and would be obvious as they would be greasy.

So as far as I can see you can safely block it.

jeremy
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

Post by (CZ)enda »

Thanks, I used epoxy filled with a metal powder to blind the leaking bolt.