Dashboard bulb fitting

BX Tech talk
mikesg
Good Old boy

Dashboard bulb fitting

Post by mikesg »

Hi Folks
I need to replace most of (or all) of my dash bulbs. I can get as far as removing the two screws above the steering fairing and the two wing nuts either side of the top part. This will enable me to pull the unit back out so far (about 2 inches) I need to disconnect the speedo cable to gain more room. How do I do this please? There are instructions for this job on the BX diy site but it doesn't seem to be available now. Can anyone help please? My current BX is a 19d so i'm expecting some empty holes. Also would 20 bulbs be enough?
Thanks for any help.
Mlke
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: Dashboard bulb fitting

Post by ken newbold »

Hi Mike, 20 should be more than enough.

The speedo cable has an outer ring that needs to be pulled back in order for the main cable to be released. I'm afraid it's all done by feel, if you get your hand in there, feel where the cable fits in the dash, hold the outer part as close to the speedo as you can and pull.

Or it could be one of this type

They think it's all over, it is now!
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

Detach the speedo cable connection in the engine compartment just in front of the firewall (if it's the same as LHD!) so the panel comes another 4 inches back or so, then you don't need to use your fingertips as eyes. You can see the speedo attachement looking from outside the windscreen
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Unfortunately right hand drive models aren't so easy :-(
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I've not had a real problem getting the 'Pod' out, there is usually enough slack in the upper cable to let you work the 'Pod' out far enough to detach the clip on the speedo cable. Could be you have a short upper cable, so unscrewing the join forward of the bulkhead gives enough slack. I've replaced a couple of cables n an '88 and '91 built cars, be grateful you have the later wing nut type, the earlier ones are much harder to do..... :wink:
morningglory
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

Post by morningglory »

When I took my car in for some more major bits, I asked if they could do the instrument panels bulbs too. He only charged me £10 for all new bulbs and labour (I did spend £150 on other things). I did want to do the bulbs myself but I was too scared I would crack something hard to replace. Maybe I was being a bit lazy or pathetic but I don't care...
1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

mikesg
Good Old boy

Post by mikesg »

Thanks for the input chaps. The new bulbs arrived today so maybe have a go over the weekend.
Watch this space
Regards. Mike.