Wheel bearing 'Fun'

Anything about BXs
Tinkley
1K Away

Wheel bearing 'Fun'

Post by Tinkley »

As per title, bought new front wheel bearing kit (SNR) from Euro, went and got old one pressed out (removed hub and I'd removed hub inner etc) and lo and behold the 'new' bearing was a half broken worn out and pressed out knackered piece of shite.....
Of course when I returned said piece of **** to shop they did not have another...... :wink:
Glorybx
My Cars: BXTZD.

Re: Wheel bearing 'Fun'

Post by Glorybx »

Get someone to do it for you then, i did n 2 perfect wheel bearings supplied, fitted and job done. Not expensive either.
Saved all the stress too and if it goes wrong,well, it wont!!
BX19TRS
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Glorybx wrote:Get someone to do it for you then, i did n 2 perfect wheel bearings supplied, fitted and job done. Not expensive either.
Saved all the stress too and if it goes wrong,well, it wont!!
You just might be missing something here........we LIKE tinkering and fixing.There is no fun in point and pay ?
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Got new bearing a FAG one suitable for ABS(? thanks Berlingo).....now sweetly pressed in.

So I learnt you can't hammer (with suitable drift) these babies in, as you knacker the internal magnets (2nd gen ABS) but there is a way round to the bearing. Worth knowing if you have to use one of these later style beasts.

As for getting someone else, I did to do the pressing, but I know thebearing quality and the 'feel' is correct. The really cheap bearings are crap so I'd rather know what I have got, I suspect like Jaba...... :wink:
The original did 172k so hardly too shabby.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Mine are still original after 234k! Yet I've had others on a BX fail after less than 100k.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad